Helpful Information for Using Sprintax
- Documents and information you may need in order to complete your federal and state tax forms:
- I-20 or DS-2019
- Social Security Number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
- U.S. entry and exit dates for current and past visits to the U.S.
- W-2 Form
- 1042-S Form (only if your awarded scholarship exceeds tuition and required fees)
- 1099 Form (if you have additional bank account interest that you are declaring for tax purposes)
- Copy of your most recent federal tax return and Form 8843 (PDF) (if you filed one last year)
- When filling in your name, please make sure to enter the name as it appears in your passport—do not use a nickname
- When completing information about the Director of the Academic Program, simply enter “Colleen Callahan-Panday” and the International House contact information
- When completing the Name of the Academic Institution or School that Sponsored your Current Immigration Status, enter:
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609
- Generally, your Country of Tax Residence is your Country of Permanent Residence, which is not the U.S. unless you are a citizen of the U.S. or are a Legal Permanent Resident
- You do not need a Social Security Number or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) in order to complete Form 8843
- When using Sprintax, you will still need to print out (and sign) your tax form and mail it to the IRS. The address that you would send it to is:
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215
- Make sure to keep a copy of all the documents you mail
- If you are required to complete a Massachusetts State Tax form, you can also use Sprintax to fill out the correct forms for an additional fee. If you need, Sprintax will also do paperwork for all 50 states (for an additional fee). See Massachusetts State Tax for more information.
- Sprintax has set up a YouTube page with additional resources to help answer some of your tax questions.