As we are partnering with NE I-Corps for the first two classes, we have a 2-step application process. One application per team for each step.
Step 1: Apply to the WPI site program
Step 2: Apply to NE I-Corps Spark
Applications close September 14. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Connecting with Mentors
There will be an introductory presentation (virtual) by all teams in the cohort on September 21 from 5:00-6:30 where Mentors will observe and select teams they would like to mentor this fall. In order to allow the Mentors to make a selection, please prepare the following 4 slides:
Product/Technology – photo or drawing if available
1 Sentence Description
What customer problems are you trying to solve?
What customer needs are you satisfying?
What are the key features of your product/service that match the customer problems/needs?
Who are your most important customers?
Describe a typical customer?
What job do they want you to get done for them?
Workshop Dates (attendance required at all sessions):
Kick-Off/Class 1 – 9/28/21 5:00 – 8:00PM Customer Segments, Interviewing and Value Propositions
Class 2 – 10/21/2021 5:00 – 8:00 PM Lessons Learned – 1st 12 Interviews
Class 3 – 11/10/2021 5:00 – 7:15 PM Customer Relationships
Class 4 – 12/1/2021 5:00 – 7:15 PM Presentation of Findings
All sessions will be conducted virtually.
Upon acceptance to the program, you will receive access to Canvas, a learning management system, where you will find the syllabus and assignment details for Classes 1 and 2.
In between Class 1 and 2 your team will attend 2 office hours with the program instructors to review your interviewing progress. All team members should be present.
Class 3 – Customer Relationships – Get-Keep-Grow
November 10th | 5:00-7:15 pm | Via Zoom
- Watch the following videos; Customer Relationships http://bit.ly/8vmsicorps
- Optional reading: Chapter 5+6 of the Startup Owner’s Manual; Customer Discovery Phase Two and Three
- Prepare PPT presentation
- Slide 1 – same format as in Class 2 with any modifications to the 1 sentence description, update # of customer interviewed.
- Slide 2 & 3
- a) What did you learn from the new interviews? How did Value Propositions change and why?
- Slide 4 – Update your BMC with focus on Customer Segments and Value Propositions
- Slide 5 – Next 10 Interviews
- What are the key things you want to learn in the next set of interviews?
- List of the next 10 people you plan to interview
- Presentation of results (2 minutes + 3 Q&A)) 50 min (Beth Kahn, Todd Keiller)
- Lecture on Customer Relationships 40 min (Beth)
- Revise CD plan and finalize list for next 10 customers 30 min (with Mentors)
- Conduct 10 more customer interviews and meet with your Mentors to review progress.
Class 4 – Presentations of Findings
December 1 | 5:00-7:15 pm | Via Zoom
- Suggested Reading: Chapter 7 of The Startup Owner’s Manual; Customer Discovery Phase Four
- Prepare final presentation
- Slide 1 – team slide – include total number of interviews
- Slide 2- Picture or brief description of your product or process (if not on Slide 1)
- Slide 3 & 4– What are the three critical insights you learned from your interviews (consider learnings about your industry, the CD process and yourself)
- Slide 5- Original Value Prop and Customer Segment with highlights of your current view
- Slide 6 – Next steps and what resources do you need going forward
In class Agenda
- Program Recap 10 min (Todd)
- Team presentations (5 minutes + 3 minutes Q&A) 80 min (Todd)
- WPI innovation and commercialization ecosystem – what’s out there for you 30 min (Todd)