The Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) at WPI identifies, evaluates, values, protects, classifies, markets, and licenses the intellectual property assets developed by WPI researchers and other significant users of WPI resources. The office maintains close working relationships with faculty and staff researchers, manages the patented technologies database, and facilitates the transfer of WPI-owned intellectual property.
WPI researchers collaborate across disciplines on state-of the-art solutions to critical industrial, medical, and environmental problems. The resulting commercial relevance of their ideas is one of the ways we measure success in our research programs. Our resources help them maximize their marketability and market potential.
The OTC works closely with the Tech Advisors Network to help inventors market their idea or invention. Additionally, the OTC acts as the point of contact for faculty expertise, and partners with the Office of Sponsored Programs to negotiate intellectual property conditions in sponsored research agreements.
WPI technologies and active patents that are available to license are posted on In-Part. Search available technologies.
Do A Quick Prior Art Search of Patents Using A Few Key Words
Technology Transfer Central All-Access Pass
Tech Transfer Central is the leading content provider in tech transfer and research commercialization. The All-Access Pass provides a complete online arsenal of tech transfer benchmarks, best practices, and success strategies – at your fingertips 24/7.
Contact Sarah Mahan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debi Melillo at email@example.com if you would like to create an account (available to all faculty, staff, and students with valid WPI email address)
With the All Access Pass WPI gets:
- Access to 30+ upcoming live webinars and 500+ on-demand training webinars
- Technology Transfer Tactics monthly newsletter with the latest tech transfer best practices and case studies
- University-Industry Engagement Advisor monthly newsletter focusing on all the critical challenges and opportunities that fall within the holistic approach to industry engagement
- 15 years of archived articles detailing proven tech transfer strategies at your fingertips 24/7
- Anytime access to our subscriber-only online resources – reports, metrics, tools, templates and more!
- Weekly eNews featuring must-have industry news and regulatory updates
Tech Transfer Resources and Publications
Download these articles and reports for more information about Technology Commercialization.
WPI Commercialization Fund
The OTC has resources to provide early investments in promising technologies and ventures, including the Accelerate WPI program. The WPI Commercialization Fund can provide investments of up to $50,000 into ideas with a clear commercial pathway, and is open to faculty, students, or alumni. To see the Operating Principles of the Commercialization Fund, click here.
Sustainability of the Built Environment
Researchers seek solutions for a source of 40 percent of carbon emissions worldwide—human-made infrastructure.