While architects design buildings for meeting occupants’ spatial, use, and aesthetic needs, architectural engineers make sure that these buildings are structurally sound, provide constant environmental comfort to occupants in winter and summer, power their lights, computers, and machines, and provide a safe escape in case of fire.
Architectural engineers differ from civil engineers. While both share a common knowledge of structures, civil engineers tend to apply this knowledge to bridges, roads, dams, and water reservoirs. Architectural engineers are interested in buildings, but their education goes beyond structural systems by including the engineering of other building parts, such as mechanical (HVAC), electrical, and fire safety systems. In addition, because architectural engineers work closely with architects in their education, they develop a good knowledge of architectural design and drawings as well as the appreciation of the history of our architectural heritage. Similarly to architects, architectural engineers, after earning an accredited degree, become registered professionals with required work experience and state licensing examinations.
- Bachelors: $57,500
- Masters: NA
- PhD: NA
Average National Salary (O*Net): NA
Average National Starting Salary (bls.gov site) NA
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary reported by the NACE Salary Survey: $57,164
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies That Have Hired WPI Architectural Engineers
- Affiliated Engineers
- Avery Dennison
- RDK Engineers
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Architectural Engineer (Associate)
- Civil Engineer
- Construction Management Project Manager
- Electrical Engineer
- Facilities Construction Inspector
- Mechanical Engineer
- Project Manager
- Structural Engineer
Visit the Civil Engineering page for additional job titles.
Sample Graduate Schools
- University of Southern California
- University of Texas: Austin
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc.
- Architectural Engineering Institute
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers
- Structural Engineering Institute
Examples of MQPs
- 350 Mission: AEI Charles Pankow Student Design Competition
- Addition to Kaven Hall – Performance-Based Design Using Energy Simulation Tools
- Building Mechanical System Design for New Science Workplace
- Energy Retrofit of Kaven Hall with Aerogel Application
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Collection for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Architectural Engineers
- Architectural or Construction Firms
- Colleges and Universities
- Government (Federal, State, City)