Chemists and Biochemists study the actions and interactions of atoms and molecules, which can lead to the creation of new materials, the discovery of causes and cures for diseases, and methods for cleaning up the environment. Undergraduate students in the Chemistry & Biochemistry department get to work in the labs right away and begin making exciting discoveries of their own.
In addition to its own inherent value, chemistry has an important bearing on many other areas, including materials, biology, medicine, electronics, and psychology. Graduates may continue their education, go to medical school, or start working. Chemistry also provides a good background for many careers not in fields traditionally considered chemistry.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor’s: $40,000 (2015)
- Master’s: N/A
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Salary (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2015): $41,560
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary (reported by the NACE Salary Survey): $45,507
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that Have Hired WPI Chemists
- Alpha Analytical
- Cabot Corporation
- DSG Solutions
- Huntington Learning Center
- PKC Pharmaceuticals
- U.S. Army
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Analytic Chemist
- Lab Technician II
- Research Assistant
- Science Teacher
- Software Engineer
- Staff Engineer
Visit O*Net Online for more information on job titles.
Sample Graduate Schools
- Boston College
- Purdue University
- University of Arizona
- University of Michigan
- Yale University
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- American Chemical Society: Professional Organization
- American Chemistry Council: Professional Organization
- International Council of Chemical Association: Professional Organization
Sample MQP titles
- Feel the Burn: Investigating New Sensitizers for Hybrid Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells
- Substrate Effects in Hybrid Solar Cells
- Synthesis and Study of Ligands in Photocage Complexes
- Transparent Healable Materials
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Collection for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Chemists
- Colleges and universities
- Consulting firms
- Government agencies
- Private Research labs and organizations
Visit What Can I Do with This Major for a list of more industries.