With a head start and the opportunity to learn in an environment that is both theoretical and practical, our Mathematical Science graduates are prepared to enter the workforce with a confidence that is backed by a thorough understanding of their subject and the experience of collaborating with experts in the field. Our alumni work across a wide variety of industries, including architecture, insurance and finance, healthcare, computer science, physiological and biological sciences, and a broad spectrum of engineering fields.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor’s: $84,000
- Master’s: N/A
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary (reported by the NACE Salary Survey) : $64,028
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that have Hired WPI Mathematical Scientists
- Fidelity Investments
- NetCracker Technology
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Associate Analyst
- Associate Quality Assurance Engineer
- Catastrophe Risk Analyst
- IT Analyst
- Software Engineer/Developer
- Technical Consultant
Visit O*Net Online for more information on job titles.
- Boston University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- University of Virginia
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- Actuarial Club
- Pi Mu Epsilon
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM): WPI Chapter, Professional Association
Sample MQP titles
- A Model for Stock Pricing
- Improving the FIP Model
- Planetary Formation
- Portfolio Optimization with Transaction Costs
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Collection for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Mathematical Scientists
- Insurance Carriers
- Management Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
- Scientific Research and Development
- State Governments
Visit O*Net Online for a list of more industries.