Some of the most important inventions of our time, including computers, the transistor radio, lasers, and even the World Wide Web were made possible through the study of physics—the branch of science concerned with the nature and properties of matter and energy.
Physicists make significant contributions to every imaginable field because they are problem solvers who are trained to ask fundamental questions and come up with answers by observing and experimenting.
With its interdisciplinary nature, hands-on approach to research, and open curriculum that lets you take control of your education, the Physics department at WPI is an ideal place for the next generation of physicists to develop skills that will one day lead to world-changing discoveries.
The list of problems solved by physicists is long; the list of future possibilities is endless.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor's: $78,000
- Master's: N/A
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Salary (http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes192012.htm) $54,930
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary reported by the NACE Salary Survey: $58,318
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that have Hired WPI Physicists
- ArrowSight, Inc.
- General Dynamics—Electric Boat
- IPG Photonics
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Algorithm Analyst
- Application Support Engineer
- Director of Research & Innovation
- Physics Lecturer/Instructor
- Research Associate
- Software Development Engineer
Sample Graduate Schools
- Tufts University
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- American Astronomical Society
- American Institute of Physics
- American Nuclear Society
- American Physical Society
- Society of Physics Students: WPI Chapter, Professional Organization
Sample MQP titles
- A DC Glow-Discharge Plasma Gun
- AC Calorimetry Spectroscopy
- Design and Construction of a Thermoacoustic Refrigerator
- Linking Simulated Radar Data to Physical Models
- Modeling Photonic Crystal Band Structures Using Hermite FEM
- Quantum Conductance
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Library for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Physicists
- Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services
- Electronic Power Generation, Transmission, and Distribution
- Federal Executive Branch
- General Medical and Surgical Hospitals
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services
- Scientific Research and Development Services