Today, success is often the result of having a basic grasp of the factors that predict thoughts and behaviors. Where psychology is the study of human thought and behavior, it follows that an understanding of psychology can help people work together and become successful in their careers.
Students in WPI’s Psychological Science program examine the mind from various viewpoints, with emphasis on applying scientific methodologies and concepts to their own experience. They uniquely have the opportunity to take part in empirical research as a participant or as a research assistant with a faculty mentor.
Psychological Science is an excellent choice as a standalone major, second major, or minor. Graduates go on to rewarding careers in marketing, engineering, and a variety of civil and nonprofit leadership positions. They may also pursue advanced degrees; many are currently enrolled in PhD programs in genetic counseling, social psychology, and more.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor’s: $52,500 (2015)
- Master’s: N/A
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Salary (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2015): $37,390
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary (reported by the NACE Salary Survey): $35,090
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that have Hired WPI Psychological Science Graduates
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals
- Avery Dennison
- New York Life
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Counseling Psychologist
- Security Manager
- Social Worker
Sample Graduate Schools
- New York University
- Northeastern University
- Tufts University
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Psychological Science
- Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Psi Chi (International Honor Society in Psychology)
- Psychology Society (WPI)
- Social Psychology Network
Sample MQP titles
- Fostering Resilient Aging with a Self-efficacy and Independence Enabling Robot (FRASIER)
- Seeds of STEM: Developing Early Engineering Curriculum
- The Effect of Sound on the User Experience of Playing a Video Game
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Library for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Psychological Science
- Human Resources
- Human Services