Rights & Responsibilities
Federal law requires that students with disabilities be provided with appropriate accommodations. The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, Amendment Acts of 2008 require that no qualified person shall, solely by reason of disability, be denied access to, participation in, or the benefits of, any program or activity operated by a university.
Rights of Students
- Equal access to courses, programs, and activities at WPI
- Reasonable accommodations for a documented disability
- Disclose a disability at any time during the year*
- Appeal any decision regarding accommodation
*Students must request accommodations to ensure that the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) is offered a reasonable amount of time to review and evaluate the request and to provide the necessary accommodation.
Responsibilities of Students
- Disclose/request reasonable accommodations
- Submit accommodation letters
- Self-advocate (speak with professors at the beginning of every term to discuss plans for accommodations)
- Notify OAS if issues/problems arise with accommodations as soon as possible
Rights of WPI
- Request current documentation from a student with a disability to determine appropriate accommodations
- Apply accommodation at point of request (accommodations do not apply retroactively)
- Ensure academic programs are not fundamentally altered
- Provide equivalent accommodation when primary request may be unavailable or cause undue burden on the university
Responsibilities of WPI
- Provide reasonable accommodation in a timely manner
- Review the process to access accommodations with students
- Consult with faculty on accommodation provision when needed
OAS is committed to ensuring all information regarding a student remains confidential as required or permitted by law. Information will only be shared with others in the university community on a need-to- know basis.
A student may sign a written consent form and provide a copy of their photo ID to request release of their confidential documentation or to communicate with other offices or relevant supports.