Responsibilities of Recognized Organizations
Student clubs and organizations that are recognized by WPI are required to adhere to the following expectations to keep their recognized status each year.
- Update officers in MyWPI once a year OR any time there is an officer change within the organization.
- Clubs must have a designated President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary in MyWPI who full-time active students are physically on campus. Interims should be elected in the event that the officer is not physically on campus.
- Submit all Anti-Hazing paperwork required by the SAO by October 1st and resubmit with any new members after that date by March 1st.
- Retain at least ten active members who are currently enrolled WPI Students
- Update their MyWPI roster annually to ensure proper membership
- Club Presidents or their designee must attend the President’s meetings in A and C term.
- A club officer or their designee must attend one primary Leadership Retreat annually.
- Use WPI Business Office for administration of all university-approved and supplied funds as well as those funds raised on campus.
- Have a current constitution on file with the Student Activities Office (SAO)
- Adhere to all federal, state, and local laws, and university policies, including the Student Code of Conduct and all Judicial Policies
- Ensure that their members do not practice any physical or psychologically abusive behaviors, either intentionally or unintentionally
In addition to the above responsibilities, all WPI fraternities and sororities must provide WPI proof of chapter general liability insurance of at least $1,000,000 naming Worcester Polytechnic Institute as additional insured. Insurance must cover all chapter officers, functions, and activities. A certificate of insurance must be submitted annually each year via chapter excellence submissions. Each social fraternity/sorority shall renew liability insurance prior to the expiration date each year and notify WPI immediately of any change in or loss of coverage..
Appeals regarding club requirements may be made to the Director of Student Activities or their designee.
Failure to meet these requirements will result in the organization being frozen or deactivated until the requirements for recognition are met. Failure to complete the requirements for recognition within one year will result in the club becoming unrecognized. If a club is left unrecognized for more than three years, students interested in restarting the organization will need to go through the full recognition process again.