WPI’s Physics Department is committed to the success of our students, and we provide many resources to help them achieve it. Resources within the WPI community, like a student physics club and physics help sessions, or many online resources are great supports to help students with their studies and to round out their extracurricular interests. We encourage students to take advantage of the many support services available.
As a PhD candidate in WPI’s physics program, you’ll find yourself in strategically sized classes and research groups that invite close collaboration with world renowned faculty. You’ll have opportunities to engage in groundbreaking discoveries in an established research specialization or your own independent study/project.
The application process for a PhD in physics is simple, but some specific information is required. In your statement of purpose you must explain why you want to get your degree at WPI, elaborate on your research interests, and identify which faculty member most closely matches your research goals. You can identify more than one faculty member if necessary.
We offer PhD candidates financial support through nine-month teaching assistantships, 11- to 12-month research assistantships, fellowships of varying lengths, and through the National Science Foundation’s Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) interdisciplinary program for scientists and engineers.
- American Institute of Physics (AIP) was created for the purpose of promoting the advancement and diffusion of the knowledge of physics and its application to human welfare.
- TED Talks – Physics is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: technology, entertainment, design.
- Khan Academy is an organization with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education to anyone anywhere.
- Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics is a research center dedicated to exploring the world around us at its most fundamental level.
- PhysicsCentral is a vehicle of the American Physical Society, used to communicate the excitement and importance of physics to everyone.
- PhysLink.com is a comprehensive physics and astronomy online education, research, and reference website. PhysLink.com is a meeting place for professionals, students, and other curious minds.