WPI-Sponsored Off-Campus Travel Approval Process
The Interdisciplinary and Global Studies Division (IGSD) collaborates with:
- Faculty leading off-campus residential projects
- Student organizations traveling internationally
- Athletic teams traveling internationally
to support travel through the WPI-Sponsored Off-Campus Travel approval process. All international off-campus travel is subject to an approval process through the IGSD that includes routine planning and risk management protocols employed for the Global Projects Program.
Faculty should seek funds in advance in order to support these programs.
Step 1: Complete Online Intake Form
- Based on the term/date of your proposed program, please complete the WPI-Sponsored Off-Campus Travel Intake Form by the deadline listed below.
Step 2: Risk Management Review
- The IGSD will review your intake form and follow up about any initial concerns (short timeline for approval, US State Department warning for country proposed, etc).
- You will then receive an email outlining next steps in the approval process, which include:
- Link to required risk management forms and deadline for completion
- Regional contacts in the IGSD for your proposed program location
- Target date for review meeting
Step 3: Review Meeting
A review meeting will be scheduled with the trip leader, regional team from IGSD, associate director of international risk management, and any other important contacts who will be part of the program process. In this meeting we will review questions about the required forms, address student recruitment/registration plan and student eligibility, review a proposed budget for the program, and make a final determination for approval.
Step 4: Approval
An email will be sent to the trip leader shortly after the review meeting to confirm approval. If approved, the program will be integrated into the standard IGSD pre-departure processes. Student should be enrolled/registered for the program by the deadlines outlined below.
Review Process Deadlines
While these deadlines are firm to allow for appropriate pre-departure preparation, we encourage the WPI trip leader to complete these steps as early as possible.
|Programs in E&A Terms||Programs in B Term||Programs in C Term||Programs in D Term|
|Step 1: Online Intake Form Due||November 1||December 1||April 1||June 1|
|Step 2: Risk Management Review Forms Due||December 1||January 15||May 1||September 1|
|Step 3: Review Meeting Scheduled By||December 15||January 30||May 15||September 15|
|Step 4: Students Enrolled By||February 1||March 1||September 1||November 1|