- Design and manage an effective supply chain, and apply project management techniques
- Get a solid foundation in modern manufacturing techniques and business practices in subject areas such as the following:
- Control systems
- Financial processes
- Health systems engineering
- Manufacturing and materials processes
- Manufacturing systems
- Materials engineering
- Statistics and quality assurance
WPI’s Master’s in Manufacturing Engineering Online focuses on advancing engineering designs and processes to bring ideas into practical, cost-effective use in safer, greener and more sustainable approaches.
Our faculty advisors are leaders in fields like robotics, manufacturing and materials processing, control systems, machining, surface metrology, supply chain, and business operations. As a student in the flexible online Manufacturing Engineering master program, you will gain the knowledge and skills needed to push the boundaries of analysis, design, manufacturing and business as you customize a program that leverages your professional expertise and meets your career and lifestyle goals.
Students can earn their online Master's in Manufacturing Engineering Online in as short as two years and will develop a customized plan of study, working closely with faculty advisors.
Also offered online:
Admissions Qualifications for Master's in Manufacturing Engineering Online
Candidates for admission must meet WPI’s requirements and should have a bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or management, preferably in such fields as computer science/engineering, electrical/ control engineering, industrial engineering, environmental engineering, manufacturing engineering, materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, or management. Students with other backgrounds will be considered based on their interest, formal education and experience in manufacturing.
For specific application requirements, visit our admissions for online programs page.
If you do not have a bachelor's degree, please view our list of undergraduate programs.
Student are required to complete a minimum of 30 credits.
The Online MS in Manufacturing Engineering is designed to focus on four core areas:
- Manufacturing Process and Design (4-6 credits)
- Systems Engineering (6 credits).
- Production/Operations Management (6 credits)
- Materials Processing (5-6 credits)
- Electives (3-6 credits)
All elective courses must be approved by the student’s advisor and the Director of Manufacturing Engineering or the Manufacturing Engineering Graduate Committee.
Capstone Project (3 credits)
Courses for Master’s in Manufacturing Engineering Online
Subject to change based on availability. View academic term start dates for online systems engineering courses.
Manufacturing Process and Design (4-6 credits)
- MFE 510. Control and Monitoring of Manufacturing Processes (3)
- MFE 520. Axiomatic Design of Manufacturing Processes (3)
- MFE 531. Computer Integrated Manufacturing (2)
- MFE 541. Design for Manufacturability (2)
Systems Engineering (6 credits)
- SYS 501. Concepts of Systems Engineering (3)
- SYS 502. Business Practices (3)
- SYS 540. Introduction to Systems Thinking (3)
- SD 550. Systems Dynamics Foundations: Managing Complexity (3)
Production/Operations Management (6 credits)
- OIE 501. Designing Operations for Competitive Advantage (3)
- OIE 544. Supply Chain Analysis and Design (3)
- OIE 548. Productivity management (3)
- OIE 553. Global Purchasing and Logistics (3)
- OIE 555. Lean Process Design (3)
- OIE 558. Designing and Managing Six Sigma Processes (3)
Materials Processing (5-6 credits)
- MTE 550. Phase Transformations in Materials (3)
- MTE 511. Structure and Properties of Engineering Materials (2)
- MTE 512. Properties and Performance of Engineering Materials (2)
- MTE 532. X-Ray Diffraction and Crystallography (2)
- Any other MTE 5XXX course with the approval of the program director
Electives (3-6 credits)
- Select from any graduate science, business or engineering courses, with approval of the program director.
Capstone (3 credits)
MFE 590. Capstone in Manufacturing Engineering
Prefer to Study On Campus?
Our master’s in manufacturing engineering is also available on campus for students who prefer to have access to state-of-the-art facilities and work directly with expert faculty. Maybe you’re ready to earn a PhD? Get ready to push the boundaries and test new industrial processes with a PhD in manufacturing engineering. With this rapidly changing and complex world, the need to develop cost effective and environmentally friendly solutions is more prominent now than ever.