WPI’s Master’s in Manufacturing Engineering Online focuses on advancing engineering designs and processes to bring ideas into practical, cost-effective use in safer, greener and more sustainable approaches.
Our faculty advisors are leaders in fields like robotics, manufacturing and materials processing, control systems, machining, surface metrology, supply chain, and business operations. As a student in the flexible online Manufacturing Engineering master program, you will gain the knowledge and skills needed to push the boundaries of analysis, design, manufacturing and business as you customize a program that leverages your professional expertise and meets your career and lifestyle goals.
Students can earn their online Master's in Manufacturing Engineering Online in as short as two years and will develop a customized plan of study, working closely with faculty advisors.
Also offered online:
- Design and manage an effective supply chain, and apply project management techniques
- Get a solid foundation in modern manufacturing techniques and business practices in subject areas such as the following:
- Control systems
- Financial processes
- Health systems engineering
- Manufacturing and materials processes
- Manufacturing systems
- Materials engineering
- Statistics and quality assurance
Admissions Qualifications for Master's in Manufacturing Engineering Online
Candidates for admission must meet WPI’s requirements and should have a bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or management, preferably in such fields as computer science/engineering, electrical/ control engineering, industrial engineering, environmental engineering, manufacturing engineering, materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, or management. Students with other backgrounds will be considered based on their interest, formal education and experience in manufacturing.
For specific application requirements, visit our admissions for online programs page.
If you do not have a bachelor's degree, please view our list of undergraduate programs.
Manufacturing Engineering Info Session
View our on-demand webinar to be introduced to WPI's online graduate programs in Manufacturing Engineering. Get an overview of program logistics, what online learning looks like, the application process, and more!
Student are required to complete a minimum of 30 credits.
The Online MS in Manufacturing Engineering is designed to focus on four core areas:
- Manufacturing Process and Design (4-6 credits)
- Systems Engineering (6 credits).
- Production/Operations Management (6 credits)
- Materials Processing (5-6 credits)
- Electives (3-6 credits)
All elective courses must be approved by the student’s advisor and the Director of Manufacturing Engineering or the Manufacturing Engineering Graduate Committee.
- Capstone Project (3 credits)
Manufacturing Process and Design (4-6 credits)
- MFE 520. Axiomatic Design of Manufacturing Processes (3)
- MFE 531. Computer Integrated Manufacturing (2)
- MFE 541. Design for Manufacturability (2)
- MFE 5420. Fundamentals of Axiomatic Design of Manufacturing Processes
- MFE 5843. Fundamentals of Surface Metrology
Systems Engineering (6 credits)
- Please see our current Systems Engineering course offerings to choose from.
Production/Operations Management (6 credits)
- Please see our current Operations Management and Production course offerings to choose from.
Materials Processing (5-6 credits)
- Please see our current Materials Processing course offerings to choose from.
Electives (3-6 credits)
- Select from any graduate science, business or engineering courses, with approval of the program director.
Capstone (3 credits)
- MFE 590. Capstone in Manufacturing Engineering
To find the next offering of online Manufacturing courses, visit the Registrar’s site.
To view a course description, visit the Graduate Catalog.
Subject to change based on availability.
Prefer to Study On Campus?
Our master’s in manufacturing engineering is also available on campus for students who prefer to have access to state-of-the-art facilities and work directly with expert faculty. Maybe you’re ready to earn a PhD? Get ready to push the boundaries and test new industrial processes with a PhD in manufacturing engineering. With this rapidly changing and complex world, the need to develop cost effective and environmentally friendly solutions is more prominent now than ever.
Explore WPI’s Graduate Certificates in MFE
If you’re interested in sharpening your skills in the manufacturing engineering, a graduate certificate may be for you. Our manufacturing engineering graduate certificate can help bridge the next steps to gain the training and expertise to advance your career in manufacturing engineering.