WPI’s Master's in Materials Science Online provides a comprehensive source of knowledge to enhance the skill sets of practice-oriented engineers. This "graduate-level only" program at WPI is rich in information needed for industrial applications embedded in materials technology. Most industrial sectors that are involved in materials processing and manufacturing, including electronics, biotech, automotive, aerospace, chemicals and energy generation can benefit from our materials engineering program. As a student, you will gain the knowledge and skills needed to push the boundaries of energy and materials sustainability needed for economic growth. Trained students will be able to leverage their professional expertise in materials engineering and meet their career goals.
Students can earn their master's degree in materials science online in only two years. Working closely with their faculty advisors, students will develop a customized and relevant plan of study.
By the end of this program, students will be able to:
- Perform detailed thermodynamic and kinetic calculations to refine processes that are both scientifically and technologically viable and cost-effective
- Select materials to maximize functionality and performance while minimizing costs using structural and functional materials derived from metals, ceramics and polymers
- Learn about advanced characterization techniques, modelling methods, measurement and data analytics.
- Gain application specific knowledge in additive manufacturing, ICME & process modelling, metal processing, mechanical metallurgy, materials characterization, surface engineering, energy storage and materials sustainability.
- Produce designs which are optimized for materials utilization and remanufacturing so that they can be made more quickly and at a lower cost
- Understand the relationship between materials processing, its structure and properties and the application for maximized performance.
Prerequisites for Online Master's in Materials Science Online
Candidates for admission to our online master’s in materials science and engineering must meet WPI’s requirements and should have a bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or management, preferably in such fields as computer science/engineering, electrical/ control engineering, industrial engineering, environmental engineering, manufacturing engineering, materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, or management. Students with other backgrounds will be considered based on their interest, formal education and experience in manufacturing.
If you do not have a bachelor's degree, please view our list of undergraduate programs.
For the master of science in materials science and engineering, students are required to complete a minimum of 30 graduate credit hours. Students will choose their courses from the following areas and must complete a three credit capstone project or equivalent that demonstrates the ability to design, implement, and complete an independent professional project.
- Materials Science & Engineering (15 or more credits)
- Manufacturing Engineering, Management/Industrial Engineering (12 credits)
- Capstone (3 credits)
All courses must be approved by the student’s advisor and the Materials Graduate Committee.
Courses for Master's in Materials Science Online
Subject to change based on availability. View academic term start dates for online systems engineering courses.
Materials Science and Engineering (15 or more credits)
Students will start with the following courses:
- MTE 511. Structure and Properties of Engineering Materials
- MTE 512. Properties and Performance of Engineering Materials
Select remaining credits from the list below:
- MTE 526. Advanced Thermodynamics
- MTE 532. X-Ray Diffraction and Crystallography
- MTE 540. Analytical Methods in Materials Engineering
- MTE 550. Phase Transformations in Materials
- MTE 561. Mechanical Behavior and Fracture of Materials
- MTE 5844. Corrosion and Corrosion Control
- MTE 509. Electron Microscopy
- MTE 556. Smart Materials
- MTE 558. Plastics
- MTE 5816. Ceramics and Glasses for Engineering Applications
- MTE 5847. Materials for Electrochemical Energy Systems
Manufacturing Engineering, Management/Industrial Engineering (12 credits)
- MFE 510. Control and Monitoring of Manufacturing Processes
- MFE 520. Design and Analysis of Manufacturing
- MFE 531. Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- MFE 541. Design for Manufacturability
- MFE 5841. Surface Metrology: Measurement and Analysis of Surface Textures
- SYS 501. Concepts of Systems Engineering
- SYS 502. Business Practices
- SYS 540. Introduction to Systems Thinking
- SD 550. Systems Dynamics Foundations: Managing Complexity
- OIE 501. Designing Operations for Competitive Advantage
- OIE 544. Supply Chain Analysis and Design
- OIE 548. Performance Analytics
- OIE 555. Lean Process Design
- OIE 558. Designing and Managing Lean Six Sigma Processes
Capstone (3 credits)
Directed Research: Capstone Project in Materials Science & Engineering
Study in the Lab with Our On Campus Master’s in Material Science & Engineering
Do you prefer gaining exposure to engineering applications by studying in our state-of-the-art labs? Our on campus master’s in material science provides students ability to work on breakthrough research alongside our expert faculty. Plus, you’ll have the space to conduct experiments through the Materials Processing Facility. Already have a masters? Earn a PhD in materials science and engineering and conduct hands-on research in areas like heat treating, recycling, and more alongside industry-supported centers.
Got 7 minutes? Take this short survey and help improve the grad-school-research experience for you and your peers.
Take the Survey
Online Course Demo
Have you wondered what it’s like to take an online course at WPI? You can now explore our Canvas platform.
Click here to get started!
Visit the digital content library for whitepapers, ebooks, webinars, and our blog.