Each year, WPI awards a full-tuition, four-year undergraduate scholarship (valued at approximately $190,000) to a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) or FIRST Technical Challenge (FTC) team student participant. Each team participating in the FIRST Robotics Competition or FIRST Technical Challenge may nominate one of its student members for the WPI Design Innovation Scholarship.
In addition to the full-tuition scholarship, WPI offers three $20,000 scholarships ($5,000 per year for four years of undergraduate study) to applicants to the Design Innovation Scholarship who are not selected for the full-tuition award, but whose applications are deemed by the selection committee to be particularly meritorious.
To apply for the FIRST scholarship:
- Candidates should apply to WPI through the standard admissions process no later than February 1, 2018, and must be active participants on a FIRST (FRC or FTC) team in their senior year.
- By March 12, 2018, candidates must submit the following additional materials via SlideRoom*:
- Letter of nomination from the adult team leader who is nominating the candidate describing his/her demonstrated enthusiasm for engineering and science and offering examples of demonstrated ability and innovation necessary to excel as an engineer or scientist. Note: you will have the opportunity to invite your nominator to submit his/her letter of recommendation via Slide Room.
- Presentation produced by the student that focuses primarily on, and describes, one or more of the design innovations in his/her team's current year robot. Additionally, the presentation should touch upon one or more of the following:
- The importance of teamwork in developing the robot
- How their team demonstrates sportsmanship
- How their team builds spirit
- Presentations should not be longer than five minutes in length. Presentations may be slideshows (PowerPoint, Keynote, Prezi, etc.), video (mov, wmv, flv, mp4), or links to media and should be submitted through SlideRoom.
*SlideRoom is a web based service where you can upload your presentation, link to media, and solicit a nomination from an adult team leader. Please be sure to select the FIRST Design Innovation scholarship.