WPI is a longtime supporter of the FIRST robotics program and offers scholarships for FIRST participants.
FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) is a multinational, nonprofit organization that aspires to make science, math, engineering, and technology as cool for kids as sports are today.
WPI Design Innovation Scholarship
- What: A full-tuition, four-year undergraduate scholarship (valued at approximately $190,000) to a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) or FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) team student participant.
- Who: Each team participating in one of the challenges may nominate one of its student members.
In addition to the full-tuition scholarship, WPI offers three $20,000 scholarships ($5,000 per year for four years of undergraduate study) to applicants to the Design Innovation Scholarship who are not selected for the full-tuition award, but whose applications merit receiving an award.
WPI FIRST Community Scholarship
- What: A full-tuition, four-year undergraduate scholarship (valued at approximately $190,000) to a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) or FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) team student participant to attend WPI in pursuit of a career in engineering, science, or business.
- Who: Each team participating in one of the challenges may nominate one of its student members. This scholarship is intended to be awarded to a student who is Native American, African American, Latino American, and/or female.
FIRST Dean's List Summer Program Scholarship
The FIRST Robotics Dean’s List Winners are offered the opportunity to attend either session I or session II of the WPI Frontiers Program.
The scholarship will cover the full tuition of either session for the Frontiers Program, pending approval of your Frontiers Application. If you are unable to attend Frontiers but enroll at WPI as an undergraduate student, $2,500 is applied towards your tuition for the fall of your first year. The scholarship will be available to any Dean’s List Winner.
Contact email@example.com with any questions as it relates to this particular scholarship.
To apply for all FIRST scholarships (not including the FIRST Dean's List Summer Program Scholarship):
- Both Scholarships: You should first apply to WPI as a first-year student through the Common Application no later than Feb. 1, the regular decision deadline. (See all application deadlines.) You must be active participants on a FIRST (FRC or FTC) team in their senior year.
- Both Scholarships: Apply to the specific FIRST scholarship when the application opens on January 3, 2020, and closes on March 9, 2020. More information will be provided at a later date.
- You must submit the following materials via SlideRoom* when the application opens:
- Both Scholarships: Scholarship Application.
- Both Scholarships: Letter of nomination from the adult team leader describing your demonstrated enthusiasm for engineering and science. They should also show examples of your ability and innovation to succeed as an engineer or scientist. Note: You will have the opportunity to invite your nominator to submit their letter of recommendation via Slide Room.
- WPI Design Innovation Scholarship ONLY: A presentation focusing on and describing one or more of the design innovations in your team's current year robot. Presentations should not be longer than five minutes in length. Presentations should be videos (.mov, .wmv, .flv, .mp4), or links to media. The presentation should touch upon one of the following:
- How their team builds spirit
- How their team demonstrates sportsmanship
- The importance of teamwork in developing the robot
- WPI FIRST Community Scholarship ONLY: An essay not longer than two pages in length (approximately 500 words) describing:
- How you feel your future as a leader in science, engineering or management might personally improve that impact.
- Your thoughts on the role of science and technology on our society.
- How you have demonstrated leadership in your school through specific activities and especially through participation in FIRST.
*SlideRoom is a web-based service where you can upload your presentation, link to media, and solicit a letter of nomination. Please be sure to select the correct scholarship you are applying for.
FIRST Scholarship Eligibility
FIRST scholarship candidates must be high school seniors and active FIRST (FRC or FTC) team members. You must meet WPI admissions standards, have demonstrated enthusiasm for engineering and science, and possess the ability and innovation needed to excel as an engineer, scientist, or manager.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.