Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) will host Opportunities in Data Sciences, a National Professional Science Master's Association Workshop. The workshop will bring together employers from business, industry and government; faculty from existing data science programs; and representatives of funding agencies to discuss workforce needs for professionals trained in this field. Discussion will also focus on training professionals in data sciences; case studies of existing master's programs in data sciences; challenges and opportunities in developing new programs; and internship and project opportunities for students.
Speakers will include:
- George Radford, EMC Corp.
- Bogdan Vernescu, professor and head of WPI's Department of Mathematical Sciences.
- Richard Resnick, chief executive officer of GenomeQuest.
- Aric LaBarr of the Institute for Advanced Analytics at North Carolina State University.
- Lillian Wu, program executive, Global University Programs, IBM Technology Strategy and Innovation.
- Diego Klabjan, director, Master of Science in Analytics, Northwestern University.
Tuesday and Wednesday, May 28-29
Data scientists are in high demand. While there are a few programs that train these professionals, many more programs are currently being developed. This workshop will teach participants how to identify the skills professionals need to structure and analyze large quantities of data, with a focus on the three "Vs" of big data: volume, velocity, and variety.
WPI Campus Center, 100 Institute Road, Worcester, Mass.