Announcing Zoom Phone for Unified Communications
WPI is pleased to announce that we have made the strategic decision to move to Zoom Phone. In early summer, Information Technology will begin a phased approach to implement unified communications at WPI, transforming the way you communicate today!
Details about why, when, and how are available on the WPI Hub at Zoom Phone FAQ.
Email from Vijay Menta sent 4/27/23:
WPI is pleased to announce that we have made the strategic decision to move to Zoom Phone. In early summer, Information Technology will begin a phased approach to implement unified communications at WPI, transforming the way you communicate today! This exciting change enables many technical improvements and allows WPI to consolidate to a single vendor for voice, video, SMS text, and chat, all using Zoom, an application most WPI employees are already familiar with. While keeping current WPI phone extensions in use, the project replaces the call management system, upgrades multi-line and conference phones, and removes physical desk phones when they are not deemed necessary.
WPI’s Management Council supports this initiative, and asks all faculty and staff to embrace this opportunity to move WPI unified communications forward. IT will be meeting with divisions and departments to assess needs, plan the transition, and provide training and support.
Why is WPI upgrading the phone system?
WPI’s current Avaya phone system is aging, and not keeping pace with today’s technology. To improve overall architecture, service, and resiliency, it is being replaced. The new Zoom Phone system will retain existing phone extensions, provide all the features phones offer today, as well as enhanced functionality to meet future needs.
What are the benefits of this transition?
- · WPI employees will be better equipped to communicate and engage with our community with Zoom as our unified communications platform for video, voice, SMS text, and chat.
- · Reduced phone hardware and maintenance lowers cost and improves sustainability.
- · Employees are no longer tied to office phones for business calls. Using the Zoom mobile and desktop applications, calls can be placed and received using WPI phone numbers.
- · Call transfer, forwarding, conferencing and voicemail are still supported.
- · Additional features available in Zoom include call delegation, blocking, routing, setting business hours, and text messaging.
What do community members need to do?
Your participation in this initiative enables WPI to enhance communication and sustainability, and I hope you find that Zoom phone convenience and flexibility benefits your work. While I understand this is a major change from current telecommunications, IT is here to support you and you are welcome to contact us with questions and concerns throughout the transition. Please peruse FAQs on the WPI Hub that have already been developed. More will be added to keep you informed as the project progresses.
Vijay Menta (he/him/his)
Vice President and Chief Information Officer
Information Technology Services
Worcester Polytechnic Institute