In the words of WPI President Laurie Leshin, President Biden's signing into law a bill to make Juneteenth—commemorating the end of slavery in the United States—a federal holiday is a "historic moment for our country and an important milestone in the fight for equity, justice and inclusion."
To learn more about Juneteenth, we invite WPI to explore and share information and resources that are open to all:
- Congressional Research Service, Juneteenth Factsheet (shared by the Federation of American Scientists)
- Emancipation Proclamation (National Archives)
- Texas Remembers Juneteenth (Texas State Library and Archives)
- Juneteenth (Wikipedia article)
- Black Past (history of the Juneteenth holiday)