As the university continues to manage the impact of the global pandemic on our campus community, our office has been working to determine the safest way for students to move out of residence halls. We know many of you are eager to retrieve your belongings, and we thank you for your patience during this challenging process.
WPI has developed plans to allow residents to return to campus – in limited numbers and at scheduled times - to pack and remove their belongings, beginning May 8. In accordance with public health guidelines and to maintain social distancing, we must limit the number of people on campus at any given time, so moving will take place in controlled phases.
- You will be asked to sign up online for a three-hour time slot to move.
- Each student will be allowed to bring one helper to campus.
- No more than three students and their helpers will be allowed into each residence hall at a time, to minimize contact with others.
- On campus, you will be directed to use specific doors, stairways, corridors, and restrooms.
- Custodians will clean buildings and shared moving equipment during and between time slots.
- Residential Services staff and WPI Police will be on site to monitor activities.
We will start with students whose homes are in Massachusetts. As they move out, we will allow students from other states to sign up for time slots to move. We know these procedures may be a challenge, especially if your home is far from campus and you must make travel arrangements to return. If you prefer, you may still enlist Boomerang Storage to pack your belongings and store them or ship them to you. Those details are here.
What You Need to Do
- Check your email in the coming days for a message from our office with sign up instructions.
- Sign up quickly for a moving date and time that works for you.
- Plan to arrive promptly, pack quickly, and leave on time.
- Do not come to campus if you feel ill. Do not send friends or relatives to retrieve your belongings. If you cannot travel to campus for any reason, enlist Boomerang to pack your belongings and store them or send them to you.
- Bring all moving materials you will need, such as cardboard boxes, plastic bins, bags, etc.
- Bring your own masks and gloves. WPI strongly encourages all to wear masks and gloves.
If You Have Questions
The best way to reach us is by email at Resfirstname.lastname@example.org. Email volume is heavy, so replies may be delayed. You can read the latest on WPI’s response to COVID-19 here and check FAQs on the university website.
We recognize that this is a significant undertaking. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Residential Services & the Coronavirus Emergency Response Team