Pedestrian and Travel Safety
Dear WPI Community,
As the clocks roll back November 3 and the daylight hours become shorter, we would like to take this opportunity to remind all WPI community members about pedestrian and traffic safety on and around campus.
In addition to the tips below, please be aware of construction and changes to campus: much of the hill adjacent to Gordon Library and the Boynton Street Lot is now fenced off, requiring pedestrians to use walkways nearest Kaven Hall and Institute Road.
As always, please be mindful of your surroundings, particularly after dark, and use only clear, well-lighted walkways and paths. Program the Campus Police emergency line into your phone: 508-831-5555. Make note of the locations of emergency blue light phones.
Note: SNAP van service begins at 4 pm and runs through 4 am seven days a week. Call 508-831-6111 to request transport.
Pedestrian Traffic Safety
- Avoid distractions such as cell phones or other devices that take your attention from traffic.
- Cross at marked crosswalks or traffic lights, not in the middle of the block or between parked cars.
- Look all ways before crossing.
- Make sure drivers see you before you cross the street—try to make eye contact before stepping off the curb.
- Cross only when traffic has come to a complete stop.
- At traffic lights, cross at the beginning of a green light.
- Do not cross once the “Don’t Walk” signal begins to flash or once the light has turned to yellow.
- Never cross on a red light.
- Watch for traffic turning at intersections or entering and leaving driveways.
- Increase your visibility at night by carrying a flashlight and wearing bright or light- colored clothing or reflective strips when walking in dusk or darkness.
- It’s safest to walk on a sidewalk, but if there is no sidewalk, walk on the shoulder and face traffic.
- Keep your eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel.
- Don’t be distracted by using your phone, talking to passengers, eating, or drinking.
- Always yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- Always look for pedestrians, especially when turning.
- Stay alert.
- Slow down on residential streets and through school zones.
- Never pass a stopped car when approaching a marked pedestrian crosswalk.
- Always proceed with caution when passing any stopped vehicle.
- Always look for cyclists before opening your car door into traffic.
- Do not tailgate. Maintain a sufficient distance from the car in front of you so that you will have plenty of distance to stop.
Thank you for working with us to increase safety and reduce the risk of accidents around the campus. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Campus Police at 508-831-5433 or the Student Affairs Office at 508-831-5201.
WPI Campus Safety Committee