Family & Friends
WPI’s Commencement Exercises are a time of celebration for our graduates, their families, and friends. This is especially true for the Class of 2023, and we are delighted to celebrate the wonderful accomplishments of these graduates.
Please note: these basic guidelines are continuously being monitored and adjusted. They may change as our planning changes.
- Strollers are NOT permitted under the tent, due to the tight seating.
- As is usual at our Commencement Exercises, Random Bag checks will be conducted.
- Class of 2023 Commencement exercises will be held under the tent on the Quadrangle on Thursday, May 11 for graduate students and Saturday, May 13 for undergraduate students.
- All ceremonies will be live-streamed via the WPI website. Ceremony length is dependent upon how many graduates participate.
- WPI strongly encourages everyone attending to be vaccinated/boosted or have a negative COVID-19 test taken within 24 hours of the event. Masks are welcome and strongly encouraged yet not required on campus. WPI encourages everyone to respect the choices that individuals make about their own masking.
- WPI also expects that guests will not come to campus with symptoms or having recently tested positive for COVID-19.
- Please see this map for the entrances to the tented seating area. We ask that guests not congregate around the tent, due to noise interfering with the ceremony.
- Restrooms will be available in Harrington Auditorium (adjacent to the Quad) and the Recreation Center. During student line-up, the Harrington restrooms are unavailable until 4:30 p.m. on Thursday and 9:30 a.m. on Saturday. The Recreation Center, Innovation Studio and Rubin Campus Center rest rooms are available.
- Seating on the Quad will begin at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, and 7:00 a.m. on Saturday. Guests must be seated at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony so as to not interfere with the student processional entering the Quad area (i.e. by 4:30 p.m. on Thursday or 9:30 a.m. on Saturday).
- Please use every seat (i.e. do not leave a space between guests), and we ask that guests remain seated once their ceremony begins.
- Auxiliary seating areas are available for guests without tickets. Olin 107 seating requires that a mask be worn at all times. The Rubin Campus Center, The Innovation Studio, and Higgins Labs 116 & 218 are other auxiliary viewing locations.
- WPI provides an open network for all Commencement attendees. Please connect to the "Commencement2023" network for your Internet needs.
Ticketing information: This information will be refined over the spring semester.
- Each student who RSVP’d for the ceremony will receive their dedicated tickets for their guests.
- Parents -- Please help us remind your student that they MUST sign-up for tickets if they wish to have guests in the tented audience.
- In past years, the maximum number of tickets available to a student has been 4; we anticipate this maximum to continue this year.
- Tickets will be sent to the e-mail address identified by the student. Each seat may have a single guest seated in that location.
- Tickets will be scanned at the drop-off sites and are required to access the Quad.
We greatly appreciate your patience as we continue to finalize our plans to celebrate the Class of 2023. We thank you for supporting the safety and welfare of our campus community.
We appreciate your understanding as our security personnel will be conducting random checks of camera bags, backpacks, and other large items on Commencement day.