We appreciate your understanding as our security personnel will be conducting random checks of camera bags, backpacks, and other large items on Commencement day.
WPI’s Commencement Exercises are a time of celebration for our graduates, their families, and friends. This is especially true for the Class of 2020, and we are delighted to celebrate the wonderful accomplishments of these graduates.
Given the ongoing pandemic, the university must work within public health guidelines in order to provide a safe event in which social distancing and other health requirements can be followed. Therefore, Commencement events will be carefully managed to allow for the most enjoyable experience for all.
Please note: these guidelines are continuously being monitored and adjusted. They may change as our planning changes. Here is Commencement Information specifically for Parents and Guests.
- Commencement exercises for the Class of 2020 will be held on the Quadrangle on Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 9:00 am.
- All ceremonies will be live-streamed via the WPI website. Ceremony length is dependent upon how many graduates participate.
- Campus will be open only for graduating students, guests with tickets for the ceremony, and Commencement participants and staff.
- Guests are encouraged to bring a bottle of water to the ceremony.
- Restrooms will be available in Harrington Auditorium (adjacent to the Quad) and the Recreation Center.
- Masks are optional for fully vaccinated students and guests. Unvaccinated individuals must wear a mask at all times.
- Seating on the Quad for ticketed guests will begin at 7:00 a.m. until 8:30 am. Guests must be seated by 8:30 so as to not interfere with the student processional entering the Quad area.
- Guest are asked to remain seated once their ceremony begins.
- Anyone traveling must be attentive to CDC Guidelines:
- Each student who RSVP’d for the ceremony will be provided with up to four (4) dedicated tickets for their guests. Students submitted their guests names and e-mail addresses for contract tracing purposes.
- Tickets will be sent to the students WPI e-mail address on Tuesday, August 3. Each seat may have a single guest seated in that location.
- Additional tickets beyond the maximum of 4 are not available.
- Tickets will be scanned at the ceremony and are required to access the Quad.
- Anyone with symptoms or a positive COVID diagnosis or who is a close contact of someone with symptoms or a positive diagnosis should not come to campus.
We greatly appreciate your patience as we continue to finalize our plans to celebrate the Class of 2020. We thank you for supporting the safety and welfare of our campus community.