Earth Day will be celebrated on April 22, but at WPI, we're committed to sustainability every week of the year. Check out just a few of the ways the campus community has come together to decrease electricity use, increase water conservation, and cut down on vehicle emissions, all while taking steps toward a more sustainable planet.
- 1,548,425 kWh: overall consumption of electricity decreased during FY17 (a reduction of 5% from FY16).
- 143: the number of average U.S. households that could be powered for an entire year by this annual energy savings.
- 174,803: number of average-sized bathtubs that could be filled with the amount of water conserved on campus in FY17.
- 1,080,862: number of plastic bottles diverted from landfills thanks to the 43 water bottle filling stations on campus.
- 6,182: number of kg of GHG emissions that were avoided as a result of WPI’s 3 dual electric vehicle charging stations, which are open to the Worcester community to use.
- 5,818: pounds of e-waste recycled by the WPI Green Team during the last E-Waste Drive