Stimulate Innovation I Amplify Impact I Engage Future Talent
WPI’s distinctive project-based approach to STEM education transforms bright students into thoughtful, action-oriented problem solvers who hit the ground running in the workplace.
Sponsor a project to engage the fresh perspective and technical skills of a dedicated student team, guided by top-notch faculty, on pressing business challenges—while providing a real-world educational experience for WPI students. You’ll have access to WPI alumni and students who understand the fundamentals of their chosen fields, work effectively in teams, think creatively, and have the skills and confidence to dive right in.
Why sponsor a student project at WPI?
- A student/faculty team is committed to working on your organization’s specific problem
- Teams employ cutting edge research, techniques, and theories
- Projects maintain close sponsor-faculty collaboration
- Return on investments often exceed initial costs
- Sponsoring projects provides a valuable opportunity to screen for future talent
Important Information about Projects at WPI
Who are WPI Project Sponsors
WPI is positioned at the convergence of design thinking and innovation, and as we enjoy the 50th anniversary of our distinct theory and practice academic model, we celebrate the many corporate partners who have invested in our intelligent, action oriented, problem solving students.
Join the ranks of these excellent sponsors! A small sample of our recent sponsors is below:
Bank of America
Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital
CCDC – Soldier Center
Mass. Division of Marine Fisheries
The Hanover Insurance Group
The MITRE Corporation
General Guidelines for Project Sponsorship
The projects program at WPI is the university’s signature approach to undergraduate education, combining theoretical study with practical problem solving. This philosophy has grown into graduate level projects, in Data Sciences, as well. WPI project teams bring knowledge, skill, and problem solving abilities to develop tangible solutions to your organization’s most pressing challenges.
- A project cannot be “mission critical” or on the “critical path” to the business. The best types of projects forecast new ideas, and/or enhance current activities.
- There are many options for sponsored projects across the curriculum of WPI, including:
- Major Qualifying Projects (MQP’s)
- Graduate Qualifying Projects (GQP’s)
- Independent Study Projects (ISP’s)
- Course Sponsorship
- Our most common sponsored project is the Major Qualifying Project (MQP). MQP teams consist of 2-4 undergraduate seniors and a faculty advisor, although in some cases—depending upon the scope of the project and the disciplines of the student team—there may be additional advisors. Each student completes the equivalent of 3 full time courses in order to meet the standards of this rigorous graduation requirement.
WPI Projects and Undergraduate Research Projects Showcase
Known as The WPI Plan, the university’s distinct project-based approach to STEM education, is instrumental in preparing and inspiring students to face the world's most pressing societal challenges.
Through a project-based education, students discover the value of learning by doing. They take the hypothetical and make it real, applying skills and concepts from the classroom to real problems, leading to real-world experience and impact. Each journey is distinctive, but regardless of the paths students follow, these hands-on learning experiences help them build confidence as well as leadership, collaborative, and critical thinking skills.
Projects are thoroughly documented in written reports and accompanied by comprehensive student team presentations.
A Project Based Education page
For more information on how your organization can benefit from an intelligent, skilled team of students focused on your organization's challenges, contact the Corporate Partnerships Office at email@example.com.