If an ID card becomes lost or stops working, the ID Services Office can provide students, faculty, and staff with a new or replacement ID.
ID Services will not punch holes in cards. Individuals are encouraged to utilize an ID Card holder. If a hole is punched in a card and the card stops working, the card is damaged. Students are charged for damaged card replacements.
When an ID needs to be replaced, replacement costs are billed directly to WPI student accounts.
The costs are $30 for undergraduate students and $15 for graduate students; ID replacement is free for faculty and staff. Payment is not accepted onsite.
First-year Student IDs
Incoming first-year residential students will request their WPI through the housing application. First-year commuter students should follow the steps below to request their WPI ID.
Request your ID before visiting the ID Office
Please follow these steps to request an ID reprint or new ID:
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org from your WPI email account to request an ID reprint or new ID - include which type in the subject line of the email. Please include the following information:
- WPI ID number
- Designate if you are an Employee, Graduate Student, or Undergraduate Student
- Designate your Department if you are an Employee
2. Attach an ID photo to your email if this is a new ID for a new employee or new graduate student. Please follow these instructions:
a. Photo files should be saved in the format: "LastNameFirstName" Example: If your name is John O'Neil, the file should be named ONeilJohn.jpg
b. Pictures must follow these parameters:
- Pictures must be in color, not black and white.
- The head should be centered in full-face view directly facing the camera.
- Pictures must be taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- Pictures must be taken in front of a plain white or off-white, solid background.
- Pictures must be taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis.
- Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily.
- No emblems or logos should be visible on clothing.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Eyeglasses are allowed.
- Smiling is allowed.
- For more information on formatting, please refer to this State,Gov site for passport photo parameters.
3. Your email request will generate a ticket, and you will receive a response to that ticket when your ID is ready for pickup. There will be detailed instructions on where and how to pick up your ID in that ticket response. Please do not come to the ID Office before you receive these instructions.
4. To request card access on your WPI ID card (if needed): The WPI Hub | Article | Building Card Access Request
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I be charged for my ID? Undergraduate students will be charged for all lost and damaged IDs. Graduate students will be charged for each ID print, including their first. ID replacement is free for faculty and staff.
- What is the cost to replace my ID? The costs are $30 for undergraduate students and $15 for graduate students.
- How is payment made? All charges are made to the student account.
- When will I see the charge on my account? Charges happen at the beginning of each month.
- My RFID stopped working—what happened? The RFID could stop working for a variety of reasons. The most common reason is misuse of the ID, and in most cases, the student will be charged for a replacement. Remember to keep your ID away from magnets, cell phones, and any other electronics.
- Can I punch a hole in my ID card? If a hole is punched in a card and the card stops working, the card is damaged. Students are charged for damaged card replacements. Individuals are encouraged to utilize an ID card holder that can be provided by the ID Office.
Fully Remote Students
The ID Office does not mail ID cards. You may work with your supervising department to coordinate mailing your ID card to you.
Please contact email@example.com to request an Alumni ID card.
Card Access Policy
The Card Access policy helps WPI provide the highest degree of security possible for students, faculty, staff, and guests. For more information, including responsibilities of ID holders, visit the Card Access Policy page.