100 Institute Road, Worcester MA, 01609
The George C. Gordon Library was completed in 1967, using a major portion of a $5 million bequest from George Gordon, a Cleveland industrialist and member of the WPI Class of 1895. The building was designed to sit on a steep hillside and features four floors of resources and high-tech facilities, including audio-visual work stations, tech suites for group meetings, an art gallery, and a café. The library provides access to a quarter million print volumes, more than one million ebooks, over 75,000 journals and millions of full-text articles via 370 databases, a digital collection of WPI scholarship, and the university archives.
In 2014 a light painting, created by artist Stephen Knapp, that uses treated glass to reflect and refract light, was installed over the building’s front entrance. The artwork was a gift from Phi Gamma Delta fraternity to honor the artist’s father, Walter Knapp, WPI Class of 1938.