J-1 visa applicants will need the following when applying for the visa in addition to the mentioned State Department Forms and appropriate fees
- A valid passport
- Form DS-2019 issued by WPI and containing the SEVIS
Number and Program Number
- The official appointment letter issued by the WPI Provost Office
- A receipt showing the SEVIS Fee has been paid
- Evidence of your ties to your home country. As a non-immigrant visa applicant it is assumed that you will return to your own country at the end of your stay in the US.
- One passport-type photograph (2x2inches full face photo against a white background
- If not 100% funded by WPI (as shown in the appointment letter), financial documentation showing the amount and the name of the sponsoring agency. If personal funds are used, you need to have clear documentation that you have the funds available.
H-1B visa applicants will need the following when applying for the H-1B visa in addition to the mentioned State Department Forms and appropriate fees.
- A valid passport
- The H-1B approval notice ( Form I-797A)
- Copy of diploma for the degree used when filing for the H-1B
- WPI appointment letter
- Copy of the Labor Condition Application filed by WPI for the position
- A Resume or CV
- The applicant will need enough information about the position to clearly articulate the type of work/research they will participate in.
Visitor Visa. There are four immigration classifications that allow entry to the U.S. as a visitor. Collectively, these four options are often referred to as “visitor status”.
- B-1: Visitor for business
- B-2: Visitor for tourism
- WB: Visa waiver for business
- WT: Visa waiver for tourism
Persons in visitor status are granted legal admission to the U.S. for a specific period of time. The maximum period for B-1/B-2 is typically six months. The maximum period of stay for WB/WT is 90 days. Visitor categories do not permit for U.S employment.
The visitor category is typically used for attending a WPI Conference/ workshop, or short duration 2-5 weeks visits to collaborate with WPI faculty. Prospective visitors are advised to consult with the Office of International Scholar and Faculty Services to determine if a visitor category is appropriate for the planned activity.