Humanities & Arts Learning Outcomes
The Humanities & Arts (HUA) Requirement empowers students to meet the broad educational goals at WPI. The balance between technological and humanistic education and the emphasis on inquiry-based approaches to student learning have been and remain hallmarks of a WPI education. In concert with WPI's other degree requirements, the HUA Requirement embodies the institute's definition of an educated person, and engages students with theory and practice - Lehr und Kunst - through the following educational goals.
Goals of the Humanities & Arts Requirement
- to introduce students to the breadth, diversity, and creativity of human experience as expressed in the humanities and arts;
- to develop students' ability to think critically and independently about the world;
- to enhance students' ability to communicate effectively with others in a spirit of openness and cooperation;
- to enrich students' understanding of themselves;
- to deepen students' ability to apply concepts and skills in a focused thematic area through sustained critical inquiry;
- to encourage students to reflect on their responsibilities to others in local, national and global communities;
- to kindle in students a life-long interest in the humanities & art.