WPI students who want to make a difference in the world through their technical, engineering, and scientific expertise find the Environmental Engineering (EVE) program to be a perfect fit. These studies bring opportunities for coursework and projects that can make practical, visionary changes in current practices, from water processing to housing design.
By working closely with pioneers in fields of environmental, civil, chemical, and mechanical engineering on solutions to environmental imperatives, students gain experience applicable in a wide range of careers that will improve quality of life.
With demands for humanity’s needs increasing globally and exponentially, WPI’s Environmental Engineering program prepares graduates for rewarding, groundbreaking careers in consulting, industry, research, policy-making, and business areas, such as helping keep water supplies safe, designing processes to reduce chemical toxicity, developing new capabilities for energy production, and restoring ecosystems for future generations.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor’s: $61,188
- Master’s: $75,000 (2015)
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary (reported by the NACE Salary Survey): $61,442
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies That Have Hired WPI Environmental Engineers
- Barr Engineering Co.
- CDM Smith
- Sanborn Head and Associates
- Tighe & Bond
- US Army
- US Ecology Texas
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Environmental Engineer
- Environmental Health Safety Specialist
- Industrial Hygienist
- Project Engineer
- Research and Development Engineer
- Sanitary Engineer
- Water Resource Engineer
Visit O*Net Online for more information on job titles.
Sample Graduate Schools
- Carnegie Mellon
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists: WPI Chapter, Professional Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
- Students for a Just and Stable Future: WPI Chapter, Professional Association
Examples of MQPs
- GE Environmental Improvement
- Reduction of Pesticides in the Norwalk River Basin
- Wachusett Brewery Environmental Improvement
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Collection for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Environmental Engineers