Nowhere do business and technology more clearly intersect than within WPI's Management Information Systems (MIS) program. MIS professionals use computer technology to solve problems and meet the ever-changing needs of business, such as forecasting sales and analyzing trends, optimizing production, selecting and installing hardware and software, and presenting information in a way that managers can make the most effective use of it.
Students take courses in both management and computer science to create a learning experience that will help them achieve their career goals. Graduates will possess a solid technical background in information technology (IT), plus the strong problem-solving and communications skills that management demands. The MIS major gives students a thorough understanding of business applications with a wide range of advanced information technologies and prepares them for continued career growth.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor’s: $69,444
- Master’s: N/A
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Salary(according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2015) : $78,470
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary (reported by the NACE Salary Survey): $63,310
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that have Hired WPI Information Systems Managers
- CVS Health
- Life Goes Easy
- Putnam Investments
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Associate Software Engineer
- Business Analyst in IT
- Data Analyst
- IT Analyst
- IT Consultant
- IT Leadership Program, Applied Mathematics Associate
- ITLDP participant
- Product Quality Engineer
- Systems Analyst
Visit O*Net Online for more information on job titles.
Sample Graduate Schools
- Northwestern University
- University of Cambridge
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- Association for Information Science and Technology
- Information Systems Security Association
- Society for Information Management
- Association of Independent Information Professionals (AIIP)
- Institute for Operations Research & the Management Sciences
- League of Professional Systems Administrators
Sample MQP Titles
- Building Social Intranets
- Development of Watershed Data Analysis Tools
- Extension of Vendor Performance and Relationship Management System
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Collection for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Information Systems managers
Most areas of business, industry, and government: