Interactive Qualifying Project (IQP)
IQP students work with local organizations to tackle real-life problems and challenges where science and technology meet social issues and human needs.
Fall 2022 Off-Campus IQP Application Process
Our fall application cycle for the 23-24 off-campus IQP program is now closed. The next opportunity to apply for an IQP for the 23-24 academic year will be in late January/early February. Please contact the Global Experience Office email@example.com for additional information.
Roadmap to the Off-Campus IQP: Video Series
How to Apply
Consider Location & Cost
- You can browse program options on eProjects. We encourage all applicants to read the details of program opportunities carefully and watch videos when available to better understand the project center locations that interest you. On each program page you will find details regarding housing, transportation, climate, and other unique factors specific to the project center location. It is important that you read these details carefully, consulting with family members when necessary, to determine whether or not a location will be a good fit. After placement, the GEO offers a robust pre-departure orientation program, starting as soon as two terms prior to departure, in order to help you prepare for your term off-campus.
- Some factors to consider as you browse programs include (hint: these answers can be found on the program pages!):
- What type of projects have been completed at the Project Center?
- Do you have any personal health concerns (allergies, chronic conditions) that could impact where you travel based on climate and/or environmental factors?
- What term(s) can you feasibly go away?
- What price range are you looking at for this experience? Have you discussed cost with your family? 2023-2024 Program Budget List
- IQP Site Information Videos: Learn more about each site by viewing the site video on eProjects. IQP applicants are strongly encourage to view the video for as many sites as possible, especially those of great interest.
Preview Application Materials
The application process for the Global Projects Program (GPP) is competitive. Meeting deadlines and completing all components of the application on time all contribute to a successful application. Every application is carefully reviewed and considered. However, no student is guaranteed placement at any project center. Please pay careful attention to the application page for your program as application components may vary. You can preview the 23-24 Off-Campus Application, which includes the following components:
- Profile: Before beginning an application on eProjects, you will be prompted to complete your profile, which includes basic information, including your phone number and an emergency contact.
- Language Ability: You will be asked to describe your language proficiency in languages other than English, including years of study, if applicable.
- Essay(s): You are typically asked to complete one or more essay questions.
- Resume: Upload a recent copy of your updated resume or CV. Your resume should reflect your work experience, volunteer experience and any extracurricular activities in which you have participated or currently participate.
- Two References: You will only be asked to provide the names and contact info for two references. You do not need to submit a letter of reference. One reference should be a WPI faculty member. Your second reference can be a WPI faculty or staff member, or a coach, supervisor, or faculty member from another institution who would be willing to serve as a reference for you.
- Waiver to Access Records: You will be asked to sign off on a few application statements including an understanding of the application process and a release of your transcript and judicial records.
Complete & Submit the Application
The application for an off-campus IQP can be found on eProjects. Find a full preview of the 23-24 Off-Campus Application.
Site Preference Rating Form Form
You will rate all of the project center/term offerings as Very Interested, Interested, or Not Interested. This way, you will be considered for multiple sites at the same time. With 50 project center/term offerings, there is a lot to choose from! Read our guidance on completing the preference form for instructions and tips.
If a student has had a judicial incident, we will ask you to complete a reflection essay after you have submitted your application. You may also need to meet with the Conduct Review Committee prior to being accepted to the program. We will also review transcripts at the close of A term, and may contact students to discuss academic standing.
Placement & Commitment
What Happens Next?
Placements will be announced via email. Be sure to follow all of the necessary steps to commit to your placement. All placements are final.
Off-Campus IQP Application Process Newsletter
This is your complete guide to the application process for off-campus IQP project centers in the 2023-2024 academic year.
Dates and Deadlines
Meeting deadlines, completing all components of the application on time all contribute to a successful application.
- 8/26/22 - Applications open for AY23-24 programs
- 9/9/22 - Project Preference Rating Form opens
- 10/3/22 - Applications due by 9:00AM
- 12/20/22 - Applicants notified of placement
- 01/17/23 - Commitment deadline