Our fall application cycle for the 21-22 off-campus IQP program is now closed. For more details on next steps, please review the details below. This year's Global Fair was held virtually from Sept 8-17. For more details and to view recorded sessions click here. You can also download a PDF copy of the Global Fair Passport here: Global Fair Passport PDF.
IQP students work with local organizations to tackle real-life problems and challenges where science and technology meet social issues and human needs.
Fall Off-Campus IQP Application Process Now Closed
How to Apply
Consider Location & Cost
- You can browse program options on eProjects. We encourage all applicants to read the details of program opportunities carefully and watch videos when available to better understand the project center locations that interest you. On each program page you will find details regarding housing, transportation, climate, and other unique factors specific to the project center location. It is important that you read these details carefully, consulting with family members when necessary, to determine whether or not a location will be a good fit. After placement, the GEO offers a robust pre-departure orientation program, starting as soon as two terms prior to departure, in order to help you prepare for your term off-campus.
- Some factors to consider as you browse programs include (hint: these answers can be found on the program pages!):
- What type of projects have been completed at the Project Center?
- Do you have any personal health concerns (allergies, chronic conditions) that could impact where you travel based on climate and/or environmental factors?
- What term(s) can you feasibly go away?
- What price range are you looking at for this experience? Have you discussed cost with your family?
- IQP Site Information Videos: Learn more about each site by viewing the site video on eProjects. IQP applicants are strongly encourage to view the video for as many sites as possible, especially those of great interest.
Preview Application Materials
The application process for the Global Projects Program (GPP) is competitive. Meeting deadlines and completing all components of the application on time all contribute to a successful application. Every application is carefully reviewed and considered. However, no student is guaranteed placement at any project center. Please pay careful attention to the application page for your program as application components may vary.
- Profile: Before beginning an application on eProjects, you will be prompted to complete your profile, which includes basic information, including your phone number and an emergency contact.
- Language Ability: You will be asked to describe your language proficiency in languages other than English, including years of study, if applicable.
- Essay(s): You are typically asked to complete one or more essay questions. Click here for a full preview of the application: 21-22 Off-Campus IQP Application Preview.
- Resume: Upload a recent copy of your updated resume or CV. Your resume should reflect your work experience, volunteer experience and any extracurricular activities in which you have participated or currently participate.
- Two References: You will only be asked to provide the names and contact info for two references. You do not need to submit a letter of reference. One reference should be a WPI faculty member. Your second reference can be a WPI faculty or staff member, or a coach, supervisor, or faculty member from another institution who would be willing to serve as a reference for you.
- Waiver to Access Records: You will be asked to sign off on a few application statements including an understanding of the application process and a release of your transcript and judicial records.
Click here for a full preview of the application: 21-22 Off-Campus IQP Application Preview.
Complete & Submit the Application
The application for an off-campus IQP can be found on eProjects. Click here for a full preview of the application: 21-22 Off-Campus IQP Application Preview.
Site Preference Rating Form Form
You will rate all of the project center/term offerings as Very Interested, Interested, or Not Interested. This way, you will be considered for multiple sites at the same time. With 50 project center/term offerings, there is a lot to choose from! More guidance on completing the preference form can be found here: Guidance for Project Center Preferences Ratings 21-22.
If a student has had a judicial incident, we will ask you to complete a reflection essay after you have submitted your application. You may also need to meet with the Judicial Review Committee prior to being accepted to the program. We will also review transcripts at the close of A term, and may contact students to discuss academic standing.
Placement & Commitment
What Happens Next?
Placements will be announced via email. Be sure to follow all of the necessary steps to commit to your placement. All placements are final.
Roadmap to the Off-Campus IQP: Video Series
Now is the time for you to start thinking about what kind of IQP experience you hope to have. It is still early in the process, but there is a lot to consider. Do you want to do an off-campus or on-campus IQP? Where will IQP fit in your schedule? To help you answer those questions view our IQP Explained 2021-2022 video, the first of a series of videos about the application process on YouTube.
It's time to start exploring your off-campus IQP options! With over 45 project center destinations in 30 international and 10 domestic sites, there is a lot to consider. Planning ahead and becoming an informed applicant can help you choose project center sites that will work for you. Begin your IQP exploration by watching the Getting Started with the IQP Application video on YouTube.
If you are ready to learn more about applying to the Global Projects Program for IQP, view the IQP: How to Apply video on YouTube. The video will walk you through the application process and highlight important steps along the way, clarify who is eligible to apply, review factors to consider in choosing an IQP, explain the application preview and show you how to apply on eProjects, and cover how to fill out your Project Preference Survey form.
Dates and Deadlines
Meeting deadlines, completing all components of the application on time all contribute to a successful application.
- August 28, 2020 - Applications open for AY21-22 programs
- October 5, 2020 - Applications due by 9:00AM
- December 22, 2020 - Applicants notified of placement
- January 25, 2021 - Commitment deadline
GPP Application Process Weekly Newsletter
- Issue #1 - 7/24/2020
Issue #2 - 7/31/2020
These days it may be hard to picture how life will look once you are back on campus. We hope to make it easy for you to envision how the IQP application process will work and what you need to do to prepare. Read more in Issue #2.
Issue #3 - 8/7/2020
It's time to start exploring your off-campus IQP options! With over 45 project center destinations in 30 international and 10 domestic sites, there is a lot to consider. Planning ahead and becoming an informed applicant can help you choose project center sites that will work for you. Read more in Issue #3.
Issue #4 - 8/14/2020
We are working diligently with project center directors to update 21-22 program offerings on eProjects and all details will be up to date by the time the off-campus IQP application opens on August 28. There is so much to learn! Read more in Issue #4.
- Issue #5 - 8/21/2020
- Issue #6 - 8/28/2020
- Issue #7 - 9/4/2020
- Issue #8 - 9/11/2020
- Issue #9 - 9/18/2020
- Issue #10 - 9/25/2020
- Issue #11 - 10/2/2020
- Issue #12 - 10/16/2020