Program Educational Objectives
The Program Educational Objectives for the Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering are that our alumni will:
- be global citizens and stewards for the planet with an appreciation for the interrelationships between basic knowledge, technology, and society, while solving the challenges facing civil engineers in the 21st century.
- be able to apply the fundamental principles of mathematics, science and engineering to analyze and solve problems and to produce creative sustainable design.
- have the ability to engage in life-long learning, enhance their technical skills through graduate studies and continuing education, and through relevant experience.
- exhibit leadership in the civil engineering profession, demonstrate excellent communication skills, be engaged in professional societies, demonstrate understanding of ethical responsibility, and have a professional demeanor necessary for a successful civil engineering career.
The Student Outcomes for the Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering are that all graduates will attain:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies