Important Background Courses for FPE Majors
- MA 1001 - Calculus I
- MA 1002 - Calculus II
- MA 1003 - Calculus III
- MA 1004 - Calculus IV
- MA 2051 - Ordinary Differential Equations
- CH 1010 - Chemistry I
- CH 1020 - Chemistry II
- PH 1110 - General Physics - Mechanics
- PH 1120 - General Physics - Electricity and Magnetism
As a minimum, students should take three science courses: one chemistry and two physics courses, or two chemistry and one physics course.
- ES 2501 - Introduction to Static Systems
- ES 2503 - Introduction to Dynamic Systems
- ES 3000 - Classical Thermodynamics
- ES 3003 - Heat Transfer
- ES 3004 - Fluid Mechanics
At least one engineering design course is also required for students entering without a BS in engineering.
- These courses are referenced from the WPI Undergraduate Catalog. Equivalent courses at WPI or other schools are acceptable. In all cases, students must secure approvals from their FPE faculty advisors.
- CS 1005, Introduction to Programming (or equivalent) is also useful.
- Students are required to obtain a 3.0 GPA in background courses in order to enroll in graduate study.