Program Educational Objectives
The educational objectives of the IE Program describe the expected accomplishments of graduates during the first few years after graduation. They include:
- Industrial Engineering Knowledge and Design Skills. Graduates should be able to support operational decision-making and to design solutions that address the complex and changing industrial engineering problems faced by organizations, using current concepts and technologies.
- Communication Skills. Graduates will be sought out to represent their companies both for internal and external communications based upon the excellence they will have achieved through persistent updating of their knowledge of new communication tools and by taking advantage of opportunities for critical peer review.
- Teamwork and Leadership Skills. Graduates should be able to serve as change agents in a global environment, based on strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility and a willingness to take the initiative.
Specifically, graduating students should demonstrate that they attain the following:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Student Enrollment Data
Click here for Engineering student enrollment and graduate data on each program.