Program Educational Objectives
The educational objectives of the IE Program describe the expected accomplishments of graduates during the first few years after graduation. They include:
- Industrial Engineering Knowledge and Design Skills. Graduates should be able to support operational decision-making and to design solutions that address the complex and changing industrial engineering problems faced by organizations, using current concepts and technologies.
- Communication Skills. Graduates will be sought out to represent their companies both for internal and external communications based upon the excellence they will have achieved through persistent updating of their knowledge of new communication tools and by taking advantage of opportunities for critical peer review.
- Teamwork and Leadership Skills. Graduates should be able to serve as change agents in a global environment, based on strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility and a willingness to take the initiative.
Specifically, graduating students should demonstrate that they attain the following:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, created a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to design and conduct appropriate experimentations, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Student Enrollment Data
Click here for Engineering student enrollment and graduate data on each program.