Dr. Marcel Blais, Associate Department Head
Welcome to the Mathematical Sciences Department at WPI. We're glad you have decided to join the class of 2024.
One of the first decisions you must make is what course to select for your first mathematics course. We have created an online “test” to help you review some mathematics, choose your best first math class, and identify gaps in your background that may cause trouble in calculus at WPI.
A few quick notes before you begin:
- You will need a WPI computer account and password. To create your WPI computer accounts, use your Student ID and PIN (Personal Identification Number) to login to the Web Information System, and then click Personal Information, followed by Computer Account Settings. Follow the directions to choose a username and password. If you have trouble creating your WPI account, contact the Helpdesk.
- If you have trouble logging in, the most common mistake is using capital letters in your username. WPI usernames are all lower-case. If you get past the initial login page but see a message saying you are not enrolled, email email@example.com with a description of your problem.
- Once you log in to the system, you will find two sets of problems. Take a few minutes to work through the Orientation Test, a short introduction to WeBWorK that will save you time later on. The Calculus Placement Test has 43 problems, starting with basic algebra and trigonometry and progressing through differentiation, integration, series, parametric curves, and vector algebra. You should complete as many problems as you can, but if you really don’t know the topic, skip the problem.
- You can work on the problems in any order. You can quit at any time and your work will be saved—you can pick up where you left off when you return. Also, you can use the “Email Instructor” button in each problem to send a question to WPI.
- Take the tests seriously and do your best, but keep in mind that these tests are used only to help you pick the best first math class. Your grade will not be recorded and used against you.
- Be sure that you complete the last problem (#44) to let us know that you have finished your work. When you have completed this problem, you will have the option of seeing your recommendation on-line immediately. Whether you exercise this option or not, our recommendation will be sent to your WPI e-mail address within 48 hours.
- If you are interested in the theoretical calculus sequence MA 1033 and MA 1034, you should still take the Calculus Placement Test.
If you are ready to get started, go to Math Placement Tests.