STEM Professional Development at your School or Organization
The STEM Education Center facilitates professional development (PD) and consulting sessions with schools, districts and community organizations based on desired goals. All of our programs meet the standards for high quality PD and are aligned with National and State Standards. Our PDs are interactive, model cooperative learning pedagogy and incorporate considerations for culturally sustaining practices.
PDs can vary in length and can be conducted in-person or virtually.
The Process for Scheduling a PD or Consultation
We start by listening to you. The Center's PD team consists of experienced STEM educators who understand teaching and learning, educators’ needs, and classroom constraints. Our goal is to develop STEM PDs that meet your goals, recognizing that every school, district, and community-based organization has unique visions and stakeholders.
Please complete this short survey to inquire about science, PBL, or STEM PD at your organization. We will reach out within 2-3 business days and schedule a 45-minute consultation call. During the call we will discuss your goals and expectations for the PD, your long-term goals regarding STEM or science, and growth expectations for your educators. Following the call we will share with you a written proposal which includes a tentative agenda and PD fees.
There is no charge for these initial steps if you choose not to accept the proposal. We can run any of our current PDs, or develop a workshop specifically for your teachers/staff.
* If you have an urgent inquiry, please email Mia at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the STEM Education Center at 508-831-5512.
PD Topic Ideas
We have conducted numerous PD's around a variety of topics. Click below to get some ideas or ask us to develop something completely new. We are ready to work with you. For questions or to schedule a consultation, please contact Mia Dubosarsky.
Unpacking the STEM Framework
- Core Ideas Progression
- Understanding the 3-Dimensions of the Framework
- Unpacking the 8 NGSS Science Practices
Engineering Design and PBL
- Understanding Engineering Design
- Seeds of STEM: Our PK/K STEM Curriculum
- Engineering a Story: Solving Problems in Storybooks
- Engineering is Elementary (EiE) Training for Teachers
- Math Project and Problem Based Learning
- Problem Based Learning: Authentic, Real World and Relevant
- STEM/STEAM projects
Science, Technology and Engineering Curriculum Development
- Scope and Sequence and Unit Development for Elementary Science
- Scope and Sequence and Unit Development for Middle School Science
Online Teaching Tools and Strategies
- Introduction to Online Teaching and Learning: Engage, Enhance, Extend
- Advanced Online Teaching and Learning: Integrating Problem Solving Remotely
Equitable Strategies for an Inclusive STEM Classroom
- Asset Based Collaborative Teamwork in the STEM Classroom
- Supporting Equity, Access and Diversity in STEM
Coding and Computational Thinking
- Coding and Computational Thinking for PK-1
- Coding and Computational Thinking for Grades 2-5
High Quality Assessment Strategies
- Keys to Quality Classroom Assessment
- Developing Standards Aligned Learning Targets
- Developing High Quality Performance Assessment Rubrics
The Storyline Model of Teaching and Learning Science
- Understanding the Storyline Model
- The Process of Doing Science
- Understanding the Storyline Model
- OSE Storyline Routines
- OSE Unit Planning
Cost for PDs
The PD fees will be determined based on the type and length of the program, number of participants and travel expenses and can range from $1,200 for a half day online PD to $2,800 for a full day with travel expenses. PD fees cover all handouts and materials that will be distributed during the workshop. Exact fees will be established after the initial consultation and will be included in the proposal.
Special discounts are provided for Worcester Public Schools and schools/districts that have participated in our Strategic STEM Integration program.
Schools and Organizations
Join our email list!
Join the STEM Education Center mailing list to receive monthly newsletters about opportunities with WPI for PK-12 educators.