More About the Library
- Library seats: 780
- Public computers: 125
- Tech suites: 11
- Participants in library instruction: 5,100
- Building visitors per week: 16,000
- Ebooks: 1,067,204
- Ebook uses: 528,875
- Ejournals: 76,238
- Ejournal uses: 411,215
- Databases: 380
- Print books: 249,084
- Print use: 32,872
- Discovery system: Summon
- Institutional repository: DigitalCommons@WPI
- Professional staff: 21
- Student employees: 40
The George C. Gordon Library enriches WPI and the global community, inspiring and supporting research exploration and discovery, through the expertise of our staff, by providing relevant and specialized resources, user-centered spaces, and innovative services and tools that anticipate and respond to WPI’s changing information needs.
The library’s strategies and priorities are guided by and support the WPI Strategic Plan, “Elevate Impact”.
Earlier library planning documents and annual reports are available through DigitalCommons@WPI.
The Gordon Group
Student Library Advisory Board
This board of 10-12 students represents WPI’s Student Activity Groups and undergraduate and graduate student governance, as well as students who work in the library either with the library, or the library’s partner organizations. The board meets once a term, and provides essential feedback on library priorities and programs to meet evolving student needs. For more information, contact Amy Lawton, email@example.com.
Library Advisory Board
This board reporting to the Provost will represent WPI alumni, trustees, outside expertise on academic libraries, and WPI library stakeholders and supporters. The board will advise and advocate for WPI library excellence through:
- Exemplary curricular and project support,
- Excellent research and information services,
- Innovative digital services and resources,
- Outstanding learning and community spaces, and
- Excellent stewardship of WPI’s cultural, creative, and intellectual record and history.
For more information, contact University Librarian Anna Gold, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Gordon Library is proud to support the following academic library and research organizations and networks as a member:
- EAST: Eastern Academic Scholars’ Trust
- Five Colleges Repository Collection Affiliate
- National Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD)
- NISO: National Information Standards Organization
- SPARC: Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition
- Worcester Academic Research Collaborative (ARC)
Dedicated in October 1967, the George C. Gordon Library is named for a generous benefactor who graduated from WPI with an electrical engineering degree in 1895 and who bequeathed a $5 million gift to the Institute in 1964.
Several major renovations, including a major mechanical systems project completed in 2016, have modernized the Gordon Library and added a lively café and updated computing and study areas.
In 2017, the Gordon Library is celebrating its 50th anniversary with the WPI community! We hope you will join us to enjoy:
- a year-long exhibit about the history of libraries at WPI in the library’s Gladwin Gallery on the ground floor;
- a celebratory September 2017 alumni brunch;
- a fall community anniversary celebration in October 2017;
- a celebration of faculty research and collaboration with the library in C Term 2018; and
- an open house for students in D Term 2018.
For more information about the history of WPI’s library, please contact Archives & Special Collections, email@example.com.