Why it Matters
Affirming the values of equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion is essential to Gordon Library as we work to create a welcoming space for all members of the WPI community. It is necessary to honor intersectional identities and diverse social and historical experiences expressed across our campus community. As part of the Library’s goal of responding to and anticipating WPI’s information needs, we seek to amplify marginalized and historically silenced voices.
What We’re Doing
- We seek to deepen our understanding of how structural racism and systems of oppression operate within the Library and hold ourselves accountable for dismantling barriers to our spaces and services.
- We practice cultural humility, which entails “a personal lifelong commitment to self-evaluation and self-critique, recognition of power dynamics and imbalances, a desire to fix those power imbalances and to develop partnerships with people and groups who advocate for others, institutional accountability.”+
- We recognize that to create an inclusive library space and services, we must proactively partner and collaborate with others. We honor and seek out the expertise of campus and external partners in our commitment to continuous learning, reflection, and advocacy.
- We strive to model and foster inclusive pedagogy in our teaching, technology offerings, and the learning objects we create and maintain.
- We seek out diverse voices in research materials provided to users of the Library’s collections.
- We recognize the reciprocal relationship between learning and well-being, and commit to offering the campus community spaces, services, and programs that are welcoming, inclusive, supportive and comfortable.
- We are committed to ensuring equitable access to the library and our resources. We are mindful of accessibility standards and provide accommodations and services for persons with disabilities.
- We aim to develop inclusive communications and marketing materials that holistically engage our communities.
- We evolve our practices and policies as we learn new information. We pursue professional development opportunities to further our learning and share knowledge in our profession.
Please share your viewpoint, concerns, criticisms, ideas, and suggestions with us. Let us know what is on your mind and how we can help you. To get in touch, contact us at email@example.com. We will respond as quickly as possible. Thank you for your feedback and engagement.