Academics and Research
WPI integrates sustainability fully into our pursuit of scholarly knowledge. From approximately 150 sustainability-related courses across nearly every academic department to collaborative research projects tackling biofuels, environmental conservation, water scarcity, and more, WPI has made sustainability principles a high priority for our faculty, students, and staff.
Academic Goals by 2025
As a STEM-focused institution, WPI is responsible for educating future scientists, business leaders, and engineers to become innovators in their workplaces and communities. To ensure that we stay at the forefront of sustainability education in our courses and our content, WPI’s Sustainability Plan includes the following goals:
- Increase in annual enrollment in sustainability-related programs by 10%,
- Encourage students in ancillary disciplines to double-major or minor in sustainability-related majors and minors.
- Increase on-campus opportunities for students to use project-based learning to advance sustainability.
- Create a “sustainability expert in-residence” or equivalent position to support academics and serve as a liaison between faculty and staff and funding agencies, governments, or non-governmental organizations.
- Identify and include social justice and human needs in coursework and projects.
Interested in a Sustainability Project?
If you have an idea or a request for a sustainability-related project, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch shortly.
Leading the Way in Sustainability Research
Through critical conversations and collaborations across traditional disciplines, WPI researchers are furthering sustainability science, creativity, and scholarship while developing practical solutions to pressing environmental, economic, and social challenges. Read more about our sustainability research efforts.