While RSI works with all faculty in any area, with any sponsor, and at any level of complexity, its primary focus is on pursuing medium-to-large funding awards. RSI also coordinates sector-specific efforts in manufacturing innovation by helping faculty leverage competitive funding opportunities in advanced manufacturing, including opportunities available through the eight Manufacturing USA institutes to which WPI belongs.
The RSI team’s research development services include:
- Team Science Pre-Proposal Work: Early-stage scoping, project coordination and proposal coordination.
- Help with Large, Complex Proposals: Facilitating institutional support, marshalling resources, and assisting with proposal development, writing, and pre-submission reviews.
- Individual Proposals: Alerting faculty to solicitations, coaching on how to approach the proposal, and proposal reviewing.
- Supporting New and Evolving Research Clusters and Centers: Conducting SWOT analyses, coordinating the writing of concept papers, convening think sessions on new opportunities, and promoting smart collaborations and inclusive teaming.
- Industry/Other: Helping to identify and attract prospective partners for new translational research initiatives and centers.
RSI also curates and circulates alerts and information on agency funding opportunities, collects and disseminates strategic reports and documents related to emerging national and global research directions, facilitates agency engagement and knowledge sharing, and maintains an institute-wide database on faculty research expertise.
Overseen by the Vice Provost for Research, RSI works closely with other research-related offices including the Office of Sponsored Programs, Sponsored Programs Accounting, the Office of Intellectual Property and Innovation, and the Office of Foundation & Corporate Philanthropy.