The Department of Biology and Biotechnology makes scholarly scientific and technological advances that will address the changing needs of society. We will prepare well-educated scientists able to approach problems with creativity and flexibility. A key element in this preparation is active participation in the process of scientific inquiry. Our educational program is founded on these unifying concepts:
- All living things evolve through processes such as genetic drift and natural selection that act on heritable genetic variation.
- Biological systems obey the principles of chemistry and physics.
- Simple biological units can assemble into more complex systems with emergent properties.
- Biological systems function by the actions of complex regulatory systems.
- Scientific knowledge follows a process of observation and hypothesis testing.
An integrated and functional understanding of these concepts provides the foundation for biotechnology. In the Biology & Biotechnology curriculum, these concepts are exemplified and integrated across three major divisions of biology: Cellular and Molecular Biology, Biology of the Organism, and Organisms in their Environment.
Average Starting Salaries
- Bachelor’s: $46,884
- Master’s: N/A
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Salary (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2015): $38,246
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary (reported by the NACE Salary Survey): $30,573
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that have Hired WPI Biologists/Biotechnologists
- Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
- Community EMS
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Tufts University
- UMass Medical School
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Associate Scientist
- Lab Technician
- Manufacturing Associate
- Problem Manager - IT
- Process Engineer
- Quality Assurance Lab Analyst
- Research Lab Tech 1
Visit O*Net Online for more information on job titles.
Sample Graduate Schools
- Brown University
- Cornell University
- Ross University of Veterinary Medicine
- Tufts University
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Yale University
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
- American Society of Cell Biology
- American Society of Human Genetics
- American Society of Microbiology
- Biology Industry Organization
- Biotechnology Institute
Examples of MQPs
- Common Loon Eggshell Porosity & Thickness in North America
- Content and Effects of Over-The-Counter Phytoestrogen Supplements on Breast Cancer Proliferation
- Effect of Mycorrhizae on Artemisia Annua
- Microtubule Dependent Motors in the Chloroplast Avoidance Response
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Collection for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Biologists & Biotechnologists
- Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services
- Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools
- Federal Executive Branch (OES Designation)
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services
- Scientific Research and Development Services
Visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics for lists of more industries.