Computer scientists are integral to numerous aspects of our everyday lives and are responsible for advances in many diverse fields in the modern world such as computer security, the learning sciences, weather forecasting, smartphone application development, and network gaming. These industries are able to continuously evolve and improve through the work of computer scientists.
WPI’s Computer Science program is as diverse and varied as the field of computer science itself, offering coursework and specializations in areas such as human-robotic interaction, intelligent tutoring and educational data mining, bioinformatics, computer security and privacy, and graphics and animation, among many others.
Our project-enriched education ensures that graduates of the Computer Science program leave WPI as problem solvers who are ready to hit the ground running and make immediate contributions to this exciting and dynamic field.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor’s: $85,456
- Master’s: $90,238
- PhD: $122,500
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary (reported by the NACE Salary Survey): $75,980
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that have Hired WPI Computer Scientists
- Amazon Robotics
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Front-End Developer
- IT Analyst
- Performance Engineer
- Program Manager
- Quality Engineer
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
Visit MyPlan for more information on job titles.
Sample Graduate Schools
- Tufts University
- University of Virginia
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- Association for Computing Machinery: WPI Chapter, Professional Organization
- Association for Women in Computing: WPI Chapter, Professional Organization
- CollabLab: WPI Organization
- Cybersecurity Club (CSC): WPI Organization
- Eta Kappa Nu (HKN) Honor Society: WPI Chapter
- IEEE Computer Society: Professional Organization
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE): WPI Chapter, Professional Organization
- Women in Computer Science (WiCS): WPI Chapter
- Women in Electrical and Computer Engineering (WECE): WPI Organization
- Women in Robotics Engineering: WPI Chapter
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE) Honor Society: WPI Chapter
- Anita Borg Institute: Professional Organization
Visit What Can I do with This Major for more professional associations and clubs.
Sample MQP titles
- eBay Reputation Extractor and Analysis Tools
- Monte-Carlo Search in Games
- SAM Fitness: An Android Wellness Application
- Social Tag-Based Recommendation Services
- The Effects of Task Intensity on Visual Attension
- WanderLog Travel Application
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Library for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Computer Scientists
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services
- Data Processing Hosting and Related Services
- Employment Services
- Insurance Carriers
- Management of Companies and Enterprises
- Management Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
- Software Publishers
Visit What Can I do with This Major for a list of more industries.