At WPI, you’ll conduct advanced research with our renowned faculty members in core research groups supported by agencies like the National Science Foundation, the US Department of Education, and the US Army.
WPI’s PhD in Computer Science program has built an international reputation for research excellence over the past 40 years, providing you with extensive opportunities to work side by side with interdisciplinary researchers at the forefront of innovations that are shaping the discipline.
You’ll have immediate access to world-class laboratories and the latest in computers and software, solving real-world problems and creating groundbreaking advances in computer security, artificial intelligence, database systems, data mining, human interaction, robotics, software engineering, visualization, and image science.
In WPI’s PhD in Computer Science program, you’re focused on solving real-world problems, from increasing computer system resilience in the face of attacks, to effective data mining that improves medical diagnoses and treatment.
Exploration is encouraged, so you’ll take a range of courses from different areas, including essential work in theory, algorithms, and systems or networks. Then, you’ll direct your curriculum to suit your research interests and goals in areas like graphics/imaging, artificial intelligence, and databases.
- Applied Logic and Security Group (ALAS)
- Artificial Intelligence Research Group (AIRG)
- Database Systems Research Group (DSRG)
- Human-Robot Interaction (HRI)
- Image Science Research Group (ISRG)
- Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining Research Group (KDDRG)
- Mobile Graphics Research Group (MGRG)
- Performance Evaluation of Distributed Systems (PEDS)
- Software Engineering Research Group (SERG)
- Theory Umbrella Group (THUG)
- Tutor Research Group (TRG)