It’s not an exaggeration to say that mechanical engineers are changing the world. These dedicated professionals continue to push the boundaries of what is physically possible in order to produce safer, more economical, and more efficient machines— from aircraft carriers to household appliances.
WPI’s Mechanical Engineering major provides students with a solid foundation in the engineering sciences and a strong grounding in practical problem-solving skills. This combined approach, along with hands-on project experiences, makes WPI graduates ready and able to hit the ground running and add value to their places of employment from the very start of their careers.
Average Starting Salary
- Bachelor’s: $65,150
- Master’s: $71,149
- PhD: N/A
Average National Starting Salary (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2015): $53,210
Average National Starting Bachelor’s Degree Salary (reported by the NACE Salary Survey): $64,890
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more information on salaries.
Companies that have Hired WPI Mechanical Engineers
- Avery Dennison
- Barnes & Noble
- Shark Ninja
- US Air Force and Army
Download the WPI Post-Graduation Reports for more companies that have hired WPI graduates.
Sample Job Titles
- Aerospace Engineer
- Automatic Engineer
- CAD Engineer
- Cost Estimator
- Design Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineering Technologist
- Mechanical Engineer
Visit O*Net Online for more information on job titles.
Sample Graduate Schools
- Boston University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Columbia University
- Technical University of Delft
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Sample Professional Associations and Clubs
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers: WPI Chapter, Professional Organization
- National Academy of Engineering
- National Society of Black Engineers: WPI Chapter, Professional Organization
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Pi Tau Sigma: WPI Chapter, Professional Organization
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers: WPI Chapter, Professional Organization
- Society of Women Engineers: WPI Chapter, Professional Organization
Visit What Can I do with This Major for more associations and clubs.
Sample MQP titles
- Injection Molding of Chocolate
- Passive Assistive Pedaling Device
- Thermal and Electrical Transport
- Thermoelectric Management of Lithium Ion Batteries in Mobile Devices
Visit WPI’s Electronic Projects Collection for more MQP titles.
Popular Industries for Mechanical Engineers
- Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing
- Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services
- Federal Executive Branch (OES Designation)
- Heating and Air Conditioning Systems
- Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing
- Scientific Research and Development Services