Accessibility Services for Faculty
At WPI, we want to offer academics accommodations that allow flexibility for both you as the professor and each of your students to appropriately negotiate courses, assignments, and projects. Here you’ll find a number of resources to support you in providing students with disabilities appropriate access to academic opportunities, and the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) is available to answer any additional questions you have.
OAS Faculty Portal
Faculty members can view accommodation letters and provide exam information to the Exam Proctoring Center (EPC) all through the Accessibility Services Faculty Portal. If you have any questions about using the portal, please see our step-by-step guide or contact our office.
It is the student’s responsibility to:
- Disclose their disability by providing a letter of accommodation at the start of the term.
- Meet with their professor to discuss the details of their functional limitations and learning style.
- Follow up with the Office of Accessibility Services for support in accessing auxiliary accommodations or schedule an exam in the Exam Proctoring Center (EPC).
It is the professor’s responsibility to:
- Invite student disclosure by including the below accommodation statement* in their syllabus.
- To be available to discuss accommodation implementation with individual students.
- Ensure an accommodation does not impend on the academic integrity of their course while providing appropriate access to the student.
- Contact appropriate OAS Staff for guidance on balancing access and course integrity when necessary.
Academic Accommodations Syllabus Statement
An easy way to refer students to the OAS is to include our information in your syllabus. The federal Office of Civil Rights strongly suggests that faculty include a statement in their syllabus that states that accommodations are available for students with disabilities, the correct procedure for receiving the accommodations and that you are willing to provide these accommodations. A recommended example of a syllabus accommodations statement is given below.
“Students with approved academic accommodations should plan to submit their accommodation letters through the Office of Accessibility Services Student Portal. Should you have any questions about how accommodations can be implemented in this particular course, please contact me as soon as possible. Students who are not currently registered with the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) but who would like to find out more information about requesting accommodations, documentation guidelines, and what the accommodated interactive process entails should plan to contact OAS either by email AccessibilityServices@wpi.edu, by phone (508) 831-4908, or by stopping by the office on the 5th floor of Unity Hall.”