At WPI, we want to offer academics accommodations that allow flexibility for both you as the professor and each of your students to appropriately negotiate courses, assignments, and projects. Here you’ll find a number of resources to support you in providing students with disabilities appropriate access to academic opportunities, and the Office of Disability Services (ODS) is available to answer any additional questions you have.
As an additional service to save time, faculty utilizing the Exam Proctoring Center (EPC) have the option to share all exam data for the term, rather than individually for each exam. Our staff will enter that information into your faculty portal and you will just need to provide the exam or quiz, once available.
It is the student’s responsibility to:
- Disclose their disability by providing a letter of accommodation at the start of the term.
- Meet with their professor to discuss the details of their functional limitations and learning style.
- Follow up with the Office of Disability Services for support in accessing auxiliary accommodations or schedule an exam in the Exam Proctoring Center (EPC).
It is the professor’s responsibility to:
- Invite student disclosure by including the below accommodation statement* in their syllabus.
- To be available to discuss accommodation implementation with individual students.
- Ensure an accommodation does not impend on the academic integrity of their course while providing appropriate access to the student.
- Contact appropriate ODS Staff for guidance on balancing access and course integrity when necessary.
Academic Accommodations Syllabus Statement
An easy way to refer students to the ODS is to include our information in your syllabus. The federal Office of Civil Rights strongly suggests that faculty include a statement in their syllabus that states that accommodations are available for students with disabilities, the correct procedure for receiving the accommodations and that you are willing to provide these accommodations. A recommended example of a syllabus accommodations statement is given below.
“Students with disabilities who need to utilize accommodations in this class are encouraged to contact the Office of Disability Services (ODS) as soon as possible to ensure that such accommodations are implemented in a timely fashion. This office can be contacted via email: DisabilityServices@wpi.edu, via phone: (508) 831-4908, or in person: 124 Daniels Hall. If you have approved accommodations, please request your accommodation letters online through the Office of Disability Services Student Portal.”