WPI's online MS degree in Biotechnology is a skills-focused, non-thesis degree program that offers a broad base in the technical knowledge and lab training needed for professional careers in the biotech industry. This blended program combines online coursework with onsite lab sessions at WPI's Worcester, MA, campus. Lab requirements vary by course and are scheduled to accommodate working professionals earning their degree part-time.
By the end of this program, students will be able to:
- Integrate broad knowledge of fundamental and applied science of molecular biology and biochemistry in their role as a professional scientist or engineer
- Demonstrate expertise in modern laboratory, bio-production techniques, and best practices applicable to the biotechnology industry
- Leverage the collaborative and interdisciplinary nature of the biotech industry
- Effectively engage in cross-functional decisions with management, development, operations, and regulatory affairs
Info Session: MS in Biotechnology
View our on-demand webinar to be introduced to WPI's online Life Sciences graduate programs. Get an overview of program logistics, what online learning looks like, the application process, and more!
A BA degree will also be considered if the applicant has the appropriate math & science coursework.
For specific application requirements, visit our admissions for online programs page.
If you do not have a bachelor's degree, please view our list of undergraduate programs.
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 30 credit hours, of which 15 credit hours must be in Biology & Biotechnology. Additionally, the following requirements must be met:
- 9 credits in skills-based courses, chosen from an approved list
- 15 credits in Biology & Biotechnology or other approved department courses for depth
- 6 credits in elective courses, chosen from an approved list
Thesis option: Currently, WPI’s online graduate programs do not offer a thesis option, as thesis cannot be completed online.
Please note that courses with an asterisk*, have an on-campus lab requirement. Labs will be planned with the working professional in mind.
- BB 504. Molecular Biology of the Cell
- BB 505. Fermentation Biology*
- BB 508. Animal Cell Culture*
- BB 509. Scale up Bioprocessing*
- BB 560.. Methods of Protein Purification & Downstream Processing*
- BB 570 ST. Practical Process Control
- BB 570 ST. Advanced Topics in Biotechnology
- BB 570 ST. Medical and Applied Immunology*
- BB 581. Bioinformatics*
To find the next offering of online Biotechnology courses, visit the Registrar’s site.
To view a course description, visit the Graduate Catalog.
Subject to change based on availability.
WPI’s versatile master’s degree program in Biology and Biotechnology will give you the rigorous knowledge, practical skills, and hands-on experience needed to launch a successful career.