Information Technology Certificate
Getting the right information—and knowing how to use it—is critical to any company's survival. The Information Technology Certificate program gives students the ability to create the systems that hold the keys to success
WPI’s Graduate Certificate Programs help technical and business professionals keep up with changing technology—and the accompanying business issues—by targeting specific areas of technology management.
If you decide to pursue further study, certificate credits can be applied toward a graduate degree.
To apply for this certificate program, you must have a BS degree in any discipline.
The graduate certificate in Information Technology requires completion of four courses: two required courses for a total of six credits and two three-credit elective courses.
Two Required Courses (6 credits)
- MIS 571: Database Applications Development
- MIS 573: System Design and Development
Two Electives (6 credits)
- MIS 500: Innovating with Information Systems
- MIS 576: Project Management
- MIS 581: Information Technology Policy and Strategy
- MIS 584: Business Intelligence
How to Apply
The following materials are required when applying to a certificate program:
- Completed online application
- Official transcripts from undergraduate institutions previously attended
- The application fee (waived for current WPI undergraduates and WPI alumni)
- One letter of recommendation
- Official TOEFL/IETLS test scores required for international students who come from countries where English is not their first language.
- For all Business School graduate programs the minimum score for the TOEFL exam is 90 and the IELTS minimum score is 7.
- Applicants who have completed two years of full-time study in a college or university in the U.S., U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or the Anglophone regions or Africa, Canada, or the Caribbean, within five years of matriculating at WPI are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS* scores. Students who have studied at a school where the language of instruction is English, but the official language of the country is not English do not qualify for a waiver (e.g., study at the American University in Cairo, Egypt, does not qualify a student for the TOEFL waiver).
Statement of Purpose
For the standardized tests, WPI’s institution code is 3969 and all departments use the same code.
*Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) downloads IELTS scores that have been transmitted to our e-download account. We will not accept paper IELTS test report forms. Please contact your test center and request that your scores be sent to the following IELTS e-download account:
Worcester Polytechnic Institute Graduate Admissions
100 Institute Road
Worcester, MA 01609
Graduate Studies Series
Learn from our enrollment team members and other guests by attending quick and convenient 30-minute webinars we designed to highlight popular topics when starting grad school. Take a deep dive into specific areas of interest such as how to secure funding, how to ace your application, an overview of student services, and more!
Connect with Business School Student
Interested in one of our graduate programs? Students from the Business School at WPI will participate in weekly office hours so prospective students (like you!) can connect and learn about their experience with WPI and ask any questions you may have. Register to take advantage of this unique opportunity.
9:00–10:00 AM ET
*Hours will be available during the academic calendar weeks for the fall and spring semesters only—not during the summer or school holidays/breaks.