2023 Staff Performance Management Process
Department(s):Division of Talent & Inclusion
On May 11, 2023, Talent & Inclusion launched the 2023 staff annual performance review process, which covers performance for the period of April 1, 2022 through March 31, 2023. This year's evaluation forms have been modified to align with WPI's strategic plan and core values. Specifically, performance competencies incorporate content that reflects WPI's values of respect, community, inclusion, innovation, and achievement.
The performance management process is intended to be a highly interactive process that provides staff members the opportunity to:
- Contribute at the outset with a self-assessment that highlights contributions about which they are most proud;
- Identify any performance challenges and opportunities for improving effectiveness and efficiency; and
- Share with their managers any interests they have in professional development.
Please note WPI’s expectation that both staff members and managers participate fully in this process and are intentional in reflecting on the past year and planning for the year ahead. This means that all staff are expected to complete their performance reviews, meet with their managers, and acknowledge completion of the process in Workday. Managers are expected to complete the performance review, meet with staff members, and provide them with feedback.
As part of this process, see below some important next steps and completion dates:
- STEP 1 - Self-Evaluation: Staff members fill out the “Employee Self-Evaluation” from their Workday inbox. This self-evaluation is designed to highlight accomplishments from the past year and allow staff to offer suggestions and/or provide feedback to their manager. Once submitted, the self-evaluation will route to the direct manager for the next step. Staff members should complete their self-evaluation by June 23, 2023.
- STEP 2 - Performance Review & Meeting: Managers will complete a “Performance Review” form for each direct report from their Workday inbox. The performance review form includes sections for the manager to comment on overall job performance and identify both areas of strength as well as opportunities for development. Performance Review meetings should be held 1-on-1 to discuss accomplishments, identify opportunities for growth, and define goals.
- STEP 3 - Manager Edits and Approves Performance Review: After the staff member and manager have met to discuss the performance review, the manager will make edits as appropriate and approve the "Performance Review" form. Managers should complete performance reviews for each of their direct reports by July 25, 2023.
- STEP 4 - Employee Acknowledgement: A completed "Performance Review" form will arrive in each staff member’s Workday inbox to be acknowledged. This provides staff an opportunity to add any additional comments. Once acknowledged, the performance review process is completed. Please complete this step by July 31, 2023.
Talent & Inclusion will host several performance management workshops to support this process. See dates, times, and locations below and please add to your calendar whichever session works best for your schedule.
Individual Contributor Sessions
- Tuesday, May 23, Unity Hall 520, 10am – 10:50am
- Monday, June 12, Virtual via Zoom, 2pm – 2:50pm
- Tuesday, June 20, Virtual via Zoom, 2pm – 2:50pm
- Thursday, June 8, Virtual via Zoom, 11am – 11:50am
- Monday, June 26, Unity Hall 520, 2pm – 2:50pm
- Tuesday, July 18, Virtual via Zoom, 11am – 11:50am