We know many students are anxious to collect their belongings in the residence halls and we thank you for your patience. WPI continues to plan for a move-out process that will take place safely while adhering to state and federal guidance, although we do not yet know when that will happen. Unfortunately, at this time the campus remains closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While we wait for a time when we can safely allow students and families to return to campus, we want to offer an option to have your belongings packed and then shipped to you or stored; we understand this option may not work for all students and will continue to keep you apprised of any additional move-out plans as we are able.
Packing, shipping and storage services
Boomerang Storage, a Massachusetts company and WPI vendor, has agreed to offer packing, shipping, and storage services for a fee to students who have belongings in WPI residence halls. WPI Residential Services staff will supervise the packing. Once packed, boxes could be shipped to you via UPS or stored in a secure Boomerang facility in Holyoke, Massachusetts until next academic year. You can read about Boomerang’s practices to operate safely during the pandemic here. Please note these services do not apply to items stored in Alden Memorial Hall, the Sports and Recreation Center, and other WPI sites.
What to do
- Boomerang has created a webpage where WPI students can register for services. The deadline to register is Wednesday, April 22.
- A WPI residential services staff member will enter your room, take a photo, email it to you, and ask you to circle your items. The community director will escort Boomerang workers to your room and supervise packing.
- If you choose to have your items shipped to you, delivery tracking information will be provided.
- If you choose to have your items stored, storage information will also be provided.
- Unfortunately, Boomerang is unable to arrange for you to pick up packed items on campus or at the Boomerang facility.
- The two options available are shipping your items to you OR storing your items until fall. At this time, due to volume we are not able to accommodate some shipping and some storage.
- Boomerang charges $25 to register for services. The company will charge an additional $18 (typically $20 with a10% WPI discount) for each large box it packs. Large boxes measure 24x18x18 inches. The price includes the box, packaging and labor. The average student tends to have 4 to 6 boxes.
- Standard UPS ground shipping rates would apply, plus 25% to cover Boomerang’s transportation and handling costs. UPS rates include $100 of insurance per box. Domestic shipping prices range from $1.30 to $2.95 per pound. For international shipping rates, contact Boomerang.
- Storage prices are based on a per-item rate and include a 10% WPI discount, pickup at your room, storage for the summer, delivery back to WPI, and insurance of $100 per box.
If you have questions, email the Residential Services Office at email@example.com. We are experiencing heavy email volume, so responses may be delayed. You can also check the FAQs on the WPI website. We understand this may be a stressful time for you and your family. Please know we will share new information as it becomes available. We also encourage you to visit our hub for COVID-19 information.
Residential Services & the Coronavirus Emergency Response Team