Wellness & Rest Day Tomorrow
Department(s):Center for Well-Being
This message was sent to the WPI community.
• Wellness & Rest Day Tomorrow
• Mental Health Implementation Team Updates
• ProjectConnect Recruitment for D-Term
• Student Support Network for D-Term
• February is Heart Health Month
• Upcoming Wellness Events
Wellness & Rest Day Tomorrow
Wellness & Rest Day is Friday, February 24, and the theme is The Fire of Inner Joy! Everyone in the campus community is invited to reflect, relax, reconnect, and reenergize in ways that support their own joy. While the day will be passively programmed to allow individuals to rest or socialize as they see fit, there are some special offerings: Belly Dancing, Dog Therapy, Vinyasa Yoga, Meditation, Sound Bathing, ODIME’s Mario’s an Artist: Hot Chocolate, Crafts, Mario Kart, Engineering Week Pub Night, and many more! Earn 3 stickers in your passport books by participating in any of the CWB’s planned activities to get free food.
There will be no classes, no assignment due dates, no non-critical lab work, and no meetings held on Wellness Days.
Well-being is a Shared Responsibility: Mental Health Implementation Team Updates
As wellness is further infused into our daily life on campus, the Mental Health Implementation Team is phasing out and its work will continue through an advisory board of students, faculty, staff, and others, to be appointed shortly. Meanwhile, read the Implementation Team’s report here to learn about campus-wide initiatives undertaken over the last several months. Read the report for quick highlights on changes made in nearly every department, office, and service to address everything from academic pressure, mental health training, engagement opportunities, affinity spaces, and overall care of the community.
ProjectConnect Recruitment for D-Term
Research shows that being part of a social group improves health, happiness, and well-being. Get to know students outside of your social group and help build community on campus through ProjectConnect, a fun, six-session peer-led program in which participants discuss a series of thought-provoking questions, complete a mini connection project, and get together for a celebration. Sign up for D-Term sessions on February 20-22 from 12:00-1:00 pm and February 23 from 1:00 – 2:00 pm at the Fountain and Wedge with our Peer Well-Being Ambassadors or fill out the ProjectConnect Registration Form.
Student Support Network for D-Term
The Student Support Network (SSN) is a six-week program that helps students learn common ways their peers may be struggling with mental health and how to respond effectively. Check out the D-Term schedule and nominate a student for the program. Nominated students will receive an invitation to officially apply for one of the upcoming offerings.
“SSN training gave me the knowledge and confidence to support my friends in difficult and sometimes uncomfortable situations, and I have used what I learned throughout my time at WPI.”
- Samantha, Class of 2023, Peer Well-Being Ambassador and SSN Member
Community voices get real about mental health and well-being
February is Heart Health Month
February is Heart Health Month! You’re never too young or too old to build good lifelong health habits, so check out the Mediterranean diet, one of the healthy eating plans recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans to promote health and prevent chronic disease. Learn more here.
- Wellness and Rest Day: The Fire of Inner Joy! 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Unwind with Advising and OAS 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Morning Meditation 10:00 am to 10:30 am
- Drop-In Arts and Crafts 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Open Recreation Basketball 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm
- Let Go with Legos 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Sound Bathing 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
- Mario's an Artist: Hot Chocolate, Crafts, and Mario Kart 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm
- Dog Therapy 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Vinyasa Yoga 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm
- Mariokart Fun Friday 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Belly Dance 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Graduate Student Social 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm
- Yoga 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm
- Zumba 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- ACA (Alumni of Color Association) Black History Month Feature: A Gem in the City - Quontay Turner ’11 on Entrepreneurship in Boston6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Badminton Play Time 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Mindful Wednesdays 12:15 pm to 12:30 pm
- Mindful Thursdays 2:15 pm to 2:30 pm
To access previous versions of this newsletter, click here.
This email is intended to be for informational purposes only and not to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you or someone you know is in imminent danger of suicidal action or other threat, call WPI Campus police at 508-831-5555 (or call 911 if off-campus) or seek emergency care at a nearby hospital.
Remember: we are all in this together.
If you have any questions about the initiatives or information listed here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note this email inbox is not monitored 24/7.